X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused...

Let me rephrase...

We have a monthly salary and any additional time (Overtime/holidays) we fill out a time sheet bi-weekly.

The hours I gave above were all STRAIGHT hours; the way we do it now is:

If your sheduled off on a holiday we put 8 hrs x 1.0 = 8 hrs pay
    If you work the holiday we put 8 hrs. x 1.0 and 12 hrs x .5 = 14 hrs pay

So, those of us that work the 12 hrs on a holiday are only getting 6 hours of straight pay extra. Seem right?

I'm thinking we should get 12 hrs x 1.5 at least, for working the holiday.

I agree, we're lucky to get 10 paid holidays...

Thanks again for any help.

Barry Page
    page_usmc
    Last edited by page_usmc; 12-02-2006, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by page_usmc View Post
      If you work the holiday we put 8 hrs. x 1.0 and 12 hrs x .5 = 14 hrs pay
      The way I'm reading that, it looks like you're putting down your regular 12 hrs. at half pay. Why?

Comment

There is an idiot who works at my place.

This idiot works 60+ hours a week, Sundays, Saturdays, holidays, etc.

Gets no pay for all the overtime.

I'd fire the idiot but the idiot is me.
        “Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel, & countenance.”

--Benjamin Franklin

Comment

This is why I'm writing this thread...

"The way I'm reading that, it looks like you're putting down your regular 12 hrs. at half pay. Why?"

That's what were told to put down

Comment

That's why I'm on here looking for an answer...

"The way I'm reading that, it looks like you're putting down your regular 12 hrs. at half pay. Why?"
            That's what were told to put down

Comment

And the answer is, you will have to work this out internally. Legally, they don't have to pay you anything for not working on a holiday or "holiday pay" if you work on a holiday.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I hear ya Patty, saw that on the initial posting, but..

They DO pay EVERY employee for each of the 10 holidays (for which 99% of them are off on the holidays) and what I read in our holiday pay policy is, that we SHOULD be putting in 12 hrs x 1.5 to equal 18 hrsextra pay

*CORPORATE HOLIDAY PAY*
                Employees who work on a holiday will receive one and one half times their regular pay in addition to their regular pay for all hours worked during their normal schedule. Employees will be paid at two and one half times for all hours worked beyond their normal work schedule.

My supervisor seems unsure of the wording of this policy as well. I do have a copy of our whole pay policy, if needed.

It just seems odd that when we work a holiday we're told to put in for 12 hrs X .5 plus an additional 8 hrs x 1 for a total of 14 hours extra pay.

Are there any other 12 hour rotating shift workers on here that may be able to shed some light on how they input time for scheduled holiday pay?

Thanks in advance,
                Barry Page

Comment

It doesn't matter a whit what other employees get.

This is strictly an internal matter.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

OK...maybe what I'm asking for is...

Some help clarifying my company's policy on holiday pay.

I believe we are filling out our time cards incorrectly.

Comment

I believe we are filling out our time cards incorrectly.
                      That's what I was getting at.

Comment

I'm still comfused..

Is it that the information i'm giving is not sufficient or it's just that no one knows?

Thanks in advance
                        Barry Page )

Comment

OK, one last time. We don't know why your company is telling you to do what they are. This is NOT a matter of law. It is a matter of company policy. If you want more information about a company policy, you're going to have to ask the company. NONE of us can answer this question.
                          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

It's that this is not a legal matter; it's an internal company matter. What part of that are you not understanding?
                            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

pattymd @ cbg

Thanks for your replies:

My company HAS a policy, I'm just not certain that were are following that policy, there seems to be some gray area as far as interpretation of our policy; like I've stated, my supervision is also unsure of the "policy"

I wanted to ask this forum before addressing our HR personell.

I thought this forum was "Labor law talk" to ask others, who are more intelligent than I, for some insight/information.

As in my situation, to understand/interpret my company's policy and to see if we are complying with it or not.

Thanks again.

Comment

It doesn't matter how we interpret your company's policy. Since holiday pay is not required by law, thus there being no laws to comply with, your employer is free to interpret or even ignore their own policy as they wish. The correct interpretation is the one your employer chooses to use.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                                Working...
                                X