This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alleged bad behavior in maine Maine

Can someone be fired in maine for what was said to be bad behavior, without any warnings and without telling the employee what they did? I no Maine is at will but when a reason is given and it is false, is that legal?

Sorry, but you can be fired for any reason or no reason, so long as the reason does not violate state or federal law (like firing you because you are in a protected class, such as because of your sex, race, religion, etc.).

Maine does allow you to get the reason for termination in writing.

Request the reason in writing and the company must respond. I can't say what they will tell you the reason was or if it will be the "real" reason you were fired.

The reason, if "false," won't change the legality of firing you.

In the meantime, file for unemployment.

Unless you were fired for misconduct (and the company will need to show that happened), you should be able to collect unemployment.

Not as good as a regular paycheck, but better than nothing.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

I forgot to add, the termination resulted just after making a written complaint, the first step in the company's grievence process. Then they apparently retaliated with the termination for bad behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by kiki22 View Post
        I forgot to add...
        What you added really does not change anything, unless you can add enough to show that the "retaliation" (as you termed it) violates federal or state law.

Without knowing what you complained about and ALL of the other pertinent facts, no one could advise you.

I seriously doubt you have a case. Seek legal counsel, if you think you have been wronged.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X