Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Signature For Paychecks California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Signature For Paychecks California

    My employer has started a new pay method that requires a signature for your paycheck.

    Must an employee sign for what is rightfully thiers.

    I have had and still have many problems with payroll shortages .Gone to the DLSE and won. Problem still continues.

    Could one sign that the check was recieved / not an acceptance of accuracy.



  • #2
    It depends on what you are signing.

    If you are merely signing off on a log showing you picked up your check, then it by no means assumes that you agree that your check is correct.

    If you are signing off to confirm your hours, then I'd have to assume that the purpose of the signature was to confirm that your hours are correct. If this is the case, what protocol exists to make corrections when errors exists?


    • #3
      The employer cannot require that you "sign away your rights" by signing, when you receive your paycheck, that it is correct and that you have no legal recourse for pursuing a claim with the DLSE.

      Even if you sign, therefore, and the check is wrong and the employer refuses to correct it, you could still file a claim.

      Don't worry about it. It's common practice (and actually, a very good idea) to have the employees sign for their paychecks.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.