This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hours Worked For Full Time Status Federal Florida

I am currently employed "part-time" with a nationwide company here in Florida. I have been keeping diligent track of my hours and for the past 6+ weeks I have worked well over my standard 30 hours a week. I averaged it out, and it's closer to 38+ hours a week and for the next month I am scheduled to work 40 hours a week or more. My concern is, do I have any legal right to request my status be changed from part to full-time? I am actually working a full-time schedule and hours, while paying the part-time rate for my benefits (40% higher cost than full-time employees). I realise that Florida is a right-to-work state and that, legally, I'm not guaranteed any benefits by my company. But, if I'm averaging a nearly 40 hour work week does that legally mean I should be considered a full-time employee and pay the same cost for benefits that they do?

Please help!

Legal right? No. If this is going to continue, though, it can't hurt to discuss it with HR.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I emailed our area HR person and haven't received any response yet. In all honesty, I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. I'm 8 months pregnant, being forced to work a full-time schedule while not getting any of the additional benefits of working said schedule. I'm paying roughly $2000 a year for my benefits while full-time employees pay only about $440. Also, due to the fact that I work in retail, my position is being backfilled for when I leave on maternity/FML next month as a full-time position. Does any of this matter or am I just screwed either way?

Comment

None of it probably matters, but neither are you necessarily screwed. You'll have to see what HR says. Hope they get back to you before you go into labor.

And, btw, "right to work" means that you don't have to join a union to get a job. You're probably thinking of "at will employment", but that doesn't apply to your situation either.
        Pattymd
        Last edited by Pattymd; 11-03-2006, 09:12 AM.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

For the record, neither Federal nor Florida law (nor the laws of 47 other states) mandates what is considered full or part time.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Where do most people get the impression that full-time in Florida is defined by working 32 or more hours a week for a certain period of time? I've heard that a million times but never seen it in any labor law documents.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X