Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California is this pay disparity over new hires over old !help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California is this pay disparity over new hires over old !help!

The company I work for has hired a COO for the company back in November of 2005 in which I have found out that he has basically through out the pay scale that was in place for 15 years plus and is paying people at a new higher rate. Since November, there as been over a dozen people hired and reassigned (given new job titles with raise) and doing the same job as before the title change. My department also had a meeting to where the IT Director told us that one of our new employees in our Dept. was hired under the new scale. My question is I’ve asked for a raise since are director told us this and basically told me no, ran me around with all sorts of excuses, I’ll look into it, and so on, 3 month later I’m writing this. Can a Company do this, hire new employees at a substantial higher rate and not do it across the board for all employees? On the flip side he also hired he's wifes best freinds son to take over our IT Dept. in which we all ready have a boss, just giving the kid a higher sounding Title. Help in this matter is appreciated.

Originally posted by lmckean View Post
    Can a Company do this, hire new employees at a substantial higher rate and not do it across the board for all employees?
    Yes, unless there is a contract or CBA in effect that would not allow that (highly unlikely, given what you described about your company).
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

What about if they changed my Title

They are thinking of changing my title to a lower grade based on the old pay scale with no raise or anything. If they do that would it have to be under the new scale as like a new employee or?

Comment

Unless you are operating under a bona fide contract or CBA that says otherwise, what the other employees gets paid has nothing to do with you, and what you get paid has nothing to do with the other employees.

If they want to pay all the "old hires" on one schedule and the "new hires" on a different schedule, they may.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X