This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manditory meetings Oregon

If I work for a Company and they call manditory meetings every Tuesday for 1 hour; 1. do I need to attend on my day off? 2. do they have to pay me for so many hours?

Yes, you have to attend. Mandatory means mandatory, even if it's your day off.

Oregon has no minimum shift or reporting pay requirement. That being the case, you only have to be paid for the time you spend there. No more, no less. (This assumes that you are a non-exempt employee - if you are exempt, you do not have to be paid anything over and above your regular salary)
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Yes. If it's mandatory.

No, not in Oregon. http://www.boli.state.or.us/BOLI/TA/T_FAQ_Tamtg.shtml
      Pattymd
      Last edited by Pattymd; 10-11-2006, 04:40 AM.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Umm...Patty, the optometrist will see you now. That link was for Florida WC, not Oregon wage and hour.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Sheesh, where is my mind? I fixed it. *sigh*
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

When is a manditory meeting not manditory?

Greetings all,

I understand that manditory meetings must be attended even on one's day off, my question is what if the employer changes the meeting dates.

My problem is that our scheduled meetings are on the first Wednesday of every month but my employer changes it frequetly causing difficulty when personal plans have been made for dates not "normally" reserved for meetings.

Thank you,
            Ieuan
            Ieuan
            Last edited by Ieuan; 11-05-2006, 04:35 PM.

Comment

It's a tough break and insensitive of the manager, but it doesn't change the situation. Has anyone talked to him/her about this?

Comment

Blast, that's what I suspected. No we haven't, not much sense in trying reason with someone who does that in the first place. Chances are it will go right over their head.

Thank you Patty for the response.

Comment

I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe he/she lives for this job and thinks everyone else does too. It can't hurt to try. Politely.

Comment

I have thought of talking to him about it but it would really grind my gears to make a reasonable plea and be told too bad. But thank you for trying to provide a bit of hope.

Having been in middle management myself, even if I live for my job I consider it my job to think of my subordinates first. If I look after them they will be more likely to give me 100%.

Comment

This might sound like a stupid question, but are you in a nurses union, or a union of some sort? I only ask because as a hospital employee, at the hospital I work for, I only get the time paid for the meeting time only. The nurses though, had thier union fight for, and they recieved, a minimum of 4 hours for showing up on a day off, so I guess I am saying that if you have a bonified contract, that is enforceable, it could include something of that nature in it.

Comment

No, Public Safety Officer at a University and no union. I'm not saying there are no positives to my job but it's amazing what an employer can do to an employee in Oregon.

One example: I had a second job at an Air Base and my employer refused to fill two empty shifts, I ended up working 36 hours straight and there was nothing I could do about it except quit.

Comment

Sorry OP! I am from Oregon also, but I have to say, at least we have laws on breaks, and lunches. Some states do not, and thier workers have to work straight through with no breaks!! I guess we have to look at the good also. Good luck to you!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                          Working...
                          X