This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mileage, delivering supplies to job site California

I work for a construction company and I am sometimes told by my supervisor to buy supplies on my way to work and then bring them to the job site. Since I'm not reinbursed for mileage just to get my self to the job site my boss doesn't think he should reinburse me for mileage even though I'm delivering supplies to the job site. If I'm already at the job site and they send me out in my own vehicle to get supplies then I'm reinbursed for mileage. It seems to me that I'm acting as a delivery person for my company. If I'm on the clock and I'm carrying supplies for the company it seems to me I should be reinbursed for mileage. What does the law say? Thanks, Steve

hmmm

My husband is a concrete worker for a union company and i dont know if your company is union so this may not apply here. When he drives the company truck with supplies to a job site,he is reimbursed,i dont know how much,it is much less than his per hour wages. If he just drives to a site in his own car he is not reimbursed. I may be wrong, but i would think that you should be reimbursed for the time you take getting the supplies from the store,and up until you deliver them at the site. You may be intitled to hourly wages also because you have to physically load up the supplies and unload them when you get to the site. If i am wrong on any of this,the senior members that know more than i do,will let us know. If you are union,have you asked your union rep if you should be paid for this according to union rules?? If you have,what have they said? My husband actually had to work at getting this reimbursed,he stated that while the others sleep,he has to be awake to make sure that the workers and the supplies actually get to where they belong,and it didnt seem fair that he got paid nothing while the others who also got paid nothing,got to sleep for 4 to 8 hours. I dont know if the law backed him up,but they did decide to pay him since none of the other workers could drive the company truck because of suspended liscences. Good luck to you!! He just informed me that the union deal was if you are hauling supplies,you get reimbursed. His work just decided to pay him minimum wage for anything over 2 hours of drive time to get to a site. Hes never been asked to get supplies before he goes to a site. Sorry this is all i have to offer.
    turbowray
    Last edited by turbowray; 06-02-2006, 06:57 PM.

Comment

If you have to go out of your way to get the supplies on your way from home to the job site, then the difference in the miles is for a business purpose and you must be reimbursed. Note this is in California only.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks Pattymd and turbowray for your responses.

Yes, I'm reinbursed for only for any extra miles I drive because I went to the store, but if the store is on the way to job site I'm not reinbursed for any miles. My point, and perhaps the law doesn't agree, is that I should be reinbursed for all miles I drive while I'm carrying items for the company. For example, I drive from my house to the lumber yard which is on my way to the job site. I pick up suppllies and drive on to the job site. I'm on the clock and earning wages from the time I get to the store and that's fine. But if the store is on the way to the job site I'm not reinbursed for any miles because, they argue, I would be driving to the job site anyway and they don't pay me just to drive my self to the job site (if it's the only job site I work at that day). But I ague that if I'm carring supplies for the company then I'm acting as a delivery driver and they're supplies are getting a free ride if I'm not reinbursed for mileage.

Comment

The law does not agree. Your commute mileage is your commute mileage. Again, only the excess mileage during your commute is reimbursable.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

and

you posted that you get paid for the time to do this so your actually getting something for the time you get to the store to ge the supplies,so its not like your not getting anything for your time..sorry the law doesnt give you mileage to but that there is the legal breaks..good luck!!

Comment

Thanks all for your replies!!

Comment

our pleasure

Originally posted by Steve Rea
                Thanks all for your replies!!
                sorry we couldnt be of more help to you!! Good luck to you in the future!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X