This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• let go while on disabililty---Michigan

I went on Disability leave on July 20th due to back surgery. I received a call and letter from my company the next week that my position was eliminated and that I would remain on short term disability until my doctor released me to work on October 14th. After 10/14, then would then give me two weeks paid to find a job. If I don't find a job by 10/28, they would then give me a severance package that would include 10 weeks of pay. Well on September 7th, I receive another call that my disability has been denied and that if I appeal, that I would receive no pay and they are not sure if they'll give me my severance either. I'm not sure what to do. I have no pay coming in and now no health insurance and this doesn't seem right. I did call and confirmed that they still have me classified on a FMLA leave. One lawyer I talked to tole me that they can not hold back my severance just because I am appealing the disability decision. HE stated that they would just have to back pay my disability if they reinstate it after the appeal. I really need some advice....I have a three year old and I have no income coming in and I can't even get help from my local government. What should I do??????

Michigan Severance

This is a duplicate of my response to your other posting.

If I were you, I would file an appeal on the disability. I agree with your attorney. They cannot pull back on your severance just because you file an appeal. You may want to talk with the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Their website is at: http://www.michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,...16288--,00.html

I would also make an appointment to talk with the HR Department at your company (if it has one). This could all be a misunderstanding.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X