This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 HOUR SHIFTS Texas

Am I legally required to work 13 hour shifts and if so, how long of a break is my employer required to give me. (When we are really busy, we don't get one at all. I know this breaks the law, but if you could answer the previous two, I would greatly appreciate it.) Thank you....OVERWORKED....
    Last edited by ft120601; 05-27-2006, 02:37 PM.

Texas has no laws limiting the number of hours you work and no law requiring breaks. It does not break the law to require you to work 13 hours shifts and it does not break the law (in Texas) to require you to work without a break.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thanks for your reply..anyone else? Probably true on the 13 hour shift, however, I know for a fact that it is breaking the law requiring employees to work 8 hour shifts without a break in the state of Texas. Which with all due respect makes me question the second reply.

Comment

The US DOL has summarized state laws on meal and rest periods here:

http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/rest.htm
        http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/meal.htm

Texas has no laws requiring either meal or rest periods. I know it's not what you want to hear, but the reality is that most states do not require employers to provide breaks -- Texas included.
        I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Of course its what I want to hear...that's the whole point of checking ...and thanks for the links, however, please note that there is no link to the State of Texas? Also, from what I am seeing, on many of the states that ARE listed, there is some kind of break mentioned. And as far as meals, yeah...pretty clear no paid meals are required....lol (did I ask?). Unless I'm missing something (happens often unfortunately..lol), and please feel free to point it out, as far as I know...a law is violated if an employee goes 13 hours without any break in the state of Texas....PLEASE DONT SAY IM WRONG? PLEASE? And if I am as far as the break thing....is there anywhere I can look that will state that? Thank you for your patience.

Comment

Won't say you're wrong...

However, the reason you can't find a law that requires rest or meal breaks for employees in Texas is BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ONE!!!

You can research until the proverbial cows come home, and you won't find it. For that reason, neither cbg, Marketeer, nor I can tell you where to find it. It may be mathematically possible to prove a negative, but that generally doesn't hold true for law. The law often tells an employer what they must do, or what they must not do. It doesn't say what they don't have to do.

You've got your answer, you might as well accept it and move on.

Comment

Here is a link to the TWC Employer Handbook. It covers all current Labor Laws for Texas. If it isn't in there, it isn't a law.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/tocmain.html

Comment

Unless I'm missing something (happens often unfortunately..lol), and please feel free to point it out, as far as I know...a law is violated if an employee goes 13 hours without any break in the state of Texas....

Yes, you are missing something. The fact that there is no link to Texas is because Texas has no laws requiring employers to provide any sort of breaks. Most states do not. Only those listed at those links do. Texas isn't listed there.

No law is being violated by requiring an employee to work 13 hours without a break, because there is no law in Texas requiring an employer to provide breaks. As I said, I know that that's not what you want to hear, but it's the reality of the situation.
                Last edited by Marketeer; 05-31-2006, 04:33 AM.
                I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

FINALLY ...Thank you Ceara for that link WHERE IT DOES STATE THAT A BREAK IS REQUIRED FOR AN 8 HOUR SHIFT...SO I GUESS THE "PROVERBIAL COWS CAME HOME!!!!" LOL...YOU MUST BE WHITE TEXAS 709 lol....
                  I don't see that statement. Please provide a link to the exact page you are referencing. (Ceara's link was merely to the table of contents.) All you need to do is post the URL.

Comment

FINALLY!!!!!!!!! ...Thank you Ceara for that link...I obtained the information I was looking for... ...SO I GUESS THE "PROVERBIAL COWS CAME HOME!!!!" LOL...TWO WORDS FOR YA.....OBTUSE & DENSE TEXAS 709 lol....

AND FYI TEXAS 709....WE CAN ALL BE SMART MOUTHED SO IF YOU WANNA SEE ME WALK ALL THE WAY DOWN YOUR LEVEL>>>>LETS GO....ME, YOU, YOUR PROVERBIAL COWS, AND YOUR MOM!!!!

Comment

You don't get it. If there isn't a law, it won't be there. If breaks and/or meal periods were required, there would be a law stating so. The reason you don't find one is because there isn't one. That's what we've all been trying to tell you. If you don't believe us, call the Texas Workforce Commission and spend your time on hold to finally find out the same thing.
                      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

QUOTE=ft120601]FINALLY!!!!!!!!! ...Thank you Ceara for that link...I obtained the information I was looking for... ...Please read updated thread....

Comment

Do You Get It Now Patty Md.....i Found The Info I Was Looking For??

I Think Were Done Now? Anyone Else?

Comment

You found a law that's not there? Now, there's a trick.
                            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

YOUR ANSWER IS NO....OR SHOULD I GO SLOWER FOR YA PATTY? N....O....I DID NOT FIND A LAW THAT DOES NOT EXIST...BUT I DID FIND INFO THAT I WAS LOOKING FOR...... TWO WORDS FOR YOU TO...VACUOUS & CALLOW. I'll give you a few days to look those words up...and since my whole life doesn't revolve around a computer (unlike some)...I'll be back on in a few days to see how you're doing with your homework.... MAN I LOVE THIS!!!!! ANYONE ELSE?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X