This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Week Hold Back?? Maryland

My new employer has a 2 week initial hold back of pay. Therefore, I didn't receive pay for my first 2 weeks but I will get that money if and when my employment here ends. Is this legal? I am a salaried employee.

Originally posted by [email protected]
    My new employer has a 2 week initial hold back of pay. Therefore, I didn't receive pay for my first 2 weeks but I will get that money if and when my employment here ends. Is this legal? I am a salaried employee.
    Yes it is very legal, it's called being paid in arrears. Most employers pay their employee this way.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

http://mlis.state.md.us/cgi-win/web_....exe?gle&3-502
      http://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/emps.html

As long as that is the company's payroll policy to pay two weeks in arrears that is legal in MD (although note, there are some states where this is not). As long as they stay within MD regulations of paying employees at least every two weeks or twice a month (if semi-monthly payroll) then they are within the law.

Your payroll department should be able to provide you with a printout of the company's scheduled payrolls and their corresponding period end dates.
      CMorgan
      Last edited by CMorgan; 05-25-2006, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Yes, this is legal and not at all uncommon in MD.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X