This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contracts - CA

I am a salary employee and in addition had a separate contract with the same agency for additional services. My contract was not renewed and my employer wants to add these 'services' to my current job description. Can they do that?

Originally posted by Susy
    I am a salary employee and in addition had a separate contract with the same agency for additional services. My contract was not renewed and my employer wants to add these 'services' to my current job description. Can they do that?
    Once your other contract expires, and is not renewed, then yes, then can change your job description.
    Sue
    FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

I just want to clarify, I'm an accountant (salary position) at this agency and have a separate contract for translating (I'm a free-lance translator.) They did not renew my contract for translating and want to add this job to my current 'accountant' job description. Can they do this?

Comment

Contract

Yes, they certainly can. Your employer can determine the responsibilities of any position in their company.
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

I'm sorry, I just want to make sure I understand...
          It's okay for my employer not to pay me for translating? So, would it be best not to inform your employer of other skills you might have (completly different from what you might have been hired for?)

Comment

Translation

Yes, your employer can require that you perform additional responsibilities that were not original intended. On the other hand, if those additional responsibilities are assigned as a way to cause undue burdens on the employee and are assigned just because that person's race, national origin, age, religion, disability, gender, etc., it is illegal.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
            Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
            www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Originally posted by Susy
              I'm sorry, I just want to make sure I understand...
              It's okay for my employer not to pay me for translating? So, would it be best not to inform your employer of other skills you might have (completly different from what you might have been hired for?)

You are getting paid for the translating, only now it is included in your other salary.
              Did you try to negotiate for a raise in pay to include the additional responsibility?
              If not, you may want to as long as you don't feel it will jepoardize your job; I realize the economy is very tough right now so I don't want to suggest anything that will get you in hot water.
              Best wishes, keep me informed.
              Sue
              Sue
              FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X