Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple languages required by Texas law?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple languages required by Texas law?

Some of the positions at my company require an employee to be able to speak and understand English; some positions do not. What are my legal requirements according to Texas law as an employer related to policies and training being available in all native languages of all my employees?

Originally posted by Facility Mgmt
    Some of the positions at my company require an employee to be able to speak and understand English; some positions do not. What are my legal requirements according to Texas law as an employer related to policies and training being available in all native languages of all my employees?
    As far as your Labor Law posters go, Federal law says that if a "significant portion" of workers in an organization is not literate in English, then a certain portion of federal labor law postings at those premises must be posted in a language these employees understand.

These include your EEOC, Minimum Wage, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Employee Polygraph Protection Act and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) postings.

In terms of your company policies, I would think it best to make sure the employees can read them and understand them and sign a statement as such so that they are able to comply.

There’s no substitute for having clear, indisputable workplace policies that are accessible to employees. An informed employee is likely to be more productive and be less likely to bring an employment lawsuit.

Best wishes,
    Sue
    Last edited by Sue; 08-30-2004, 12:40 PM.
    Sue
    FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Multiple Languages

English only rules have been found to be in violation of discrimination laws...they are found to be discriminatory on the basis of national origin. However, if English is a necessary part of the job, then an employer can require English be spoken on business communication.

As an example, let's say that a retail business requires that employees speak English to their customers coming into the store. (The great majority of their customers speak English only.) They can require that sales persons speak English. It's just that on non-customer communication, such as when on a break or speaking with another employee who prefers to speak another language, such as Spanish, the employer must permit that language to be spoken.

In summary, it depends on the job requirements. If you are restricting languages due to valid business reasons that affects your ability to remain in business, you can require English.
      Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
      www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X