This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this legal?

Okay, I've been working for this fast food resturant for about 4 months & it was supposed to be a temporary thing & so i got fed up with the way they were treating me & i walked out without notice & so i was supposed to pick up my check today & when i went there to hand in my dry cleaned uniform , they are saying my cash register was 200.00 short the day i quit. & now they refuse to give me my paycheck BUT this is not my last paycheck pay period goes from the 1st-15th & 15th-30th & we get paid the 6th & 22nd so i quit on the 19th so i will have 1 more check on the 22nd, so.... There is NO proof AT ALL that i took this money & although i wish there might have been cameras to prove my story there's NOT & so they will not give me my check & before i go & call a lawyer , does anyone know if they are legally allowed too do this ?????????
    Defined_dope
    Last edited by Defined_dope; 05-22-2006, 06:34 PM.

No, they can not keep your check. You can file a claim with the state DOL if they refuse to pay you.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Well is there ANYTHING i can do sooner ???,
      I need that money my electric bill is due on the 24 which would be tomorrow.

Comment

You can ask them. Maybe tell them that your next step is to file a claim with the DOL. There is no guarantee that they can cut you a check in the next 24 hours even if they agree they owe you the money.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Well, how do I file a claim & what does that do ?

Comment

You haven't even indicated your state that I'm aware of, and we're not mind readers. I would suggest that you either use Google or the yellow pages to locate your state DOL and its wage/hour division. You will then need to follow its procedures for filing a complaint. We have no idea what those procedures are nor how long it will take.
            I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Good point, Marketeer.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X