X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does the 72hour clock start - CA

Hi,

I resigned from my job last Thursday at 3pm due to problems regarding how much I was to be paid (I was guaranteed an amount for one month, but the GM hadn't signed the pay plan yet - this is a car dealership).

When exactly does the 72 hour clock start? I am guessing that I should receive my check by 3pm Tuesday the 23rd since the weekend wouldn't count, but I am not sure.

Also, since I did work for a car dealer, how exactly would the lunch break work? During the week I would work either a 6 or 7 hour shift, on the weekends more like a 8 or 10 hour shift, but it was close to impossible to take a lunch. We had to park off site, be shuttled back and forth and so couldn't leave for lunch.

Thanks for your help..

Saturngirl

Actually, the law does not exclude weekends or holidays, under general circumstances.

Were you an exempt employee or were you nonexempt? And, what did you do there?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

when does the 72 hour clock start

Hi Pattymd.

I was a non-exempt car salesperson.

After I was hired, I asked them if there was a 3 month guarantee for me - I was new and usually if you ask, they will offer a 3 month guarantee of salary.

Well after I had been working a week and had filled out all my paperwork before I had started on 5/5 they came back to me on 5/12 and said it was only 1 month of guarantee. This dealership is really slow. The top guys have been there since it has opened in 12/04 so they have referrals.. Us new ones have nothing. I can walk around the lot for 9-10 hours and not see a person walking onto the lot to just look. They all have appts.

Anyway, the sales manager said that the GM would have to sign it and refused to give me copy until he had. Then they came back on Wednesday the 17th and said it would only be 2 weeks guarantee. I should have quit right then, but wanted to finish my shift and talk to the head guy on Thursday.. found out he wouldn't be in, and the office manager refused to talk or answer my email about how I would be paid - they had me fill out a time sheet on the 17th that went from the 5th to the 15th.

On thursday I was supposed to start my shift at 2, didn't feel too well and wasn't happy with the circumstances so I emailed them that I am resigning as of that day, send my check and temp sales license to my PO box.

It is now 2:28pm on Monday and I haven't received my check. I don't know what to do now..

The office manager runs payroll and she isn't there on the weekends, however, we should have gotten paid on Friday, so I don't see what the delay is. It is only 9 miles away from my house... That is why I figured the weekends didn't count.

Sorry for being long winded...

Laura

Comment

I'd call them tomorrow and ask at what time you can pick up your check.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

when does the 72 hour clock start

thanks Pattymd..

they actually overnighted it to me, and I received it this morning..
          Thank you for your help.

Laura

Comment

Glad it worked out for you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X