This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment Applications CA

Does anyone know, are there laws regarding how long employment applications are to be kept on file? Also do you need to log every application handed in? I'm new to the HR field and have many questions, Thanks!!

There are a few CA attorneys here so they may chime in if I'm wrong, but I've always kept applications for 2 years.

What is the purpose of logging them? For your own reference or for part of an AAP?
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

I've taken over this position from someone, that was logging them by date, name of applicant, if interview, by whom, & their EEO id if they completed that part of the app. I have a lot of misc files/ notebooks to clean out, this being one of them. Also in employment files which info needs to be kept separate form their regular emp file (ie, health info, insurance info etc.). Thank you for all your assistance, I'm buried deep!

Comment

If you aren't required by law or an Affirmative Action Plan to keep this info, you may keep it for whatever your designated purpose is. I'd still keep applications at least 2 years because applicants can still file lawsuits and that carries you beyond the statute of limitations.

What you should do though is define who you consider an applicant. A good rule of thumb is that they must apply for a specific position and meet at least the minimum qualifications. This eliminates having to track and keep those that are just submitted randomly and would never qualify to work there.

The only information that must be kept separate in employee files in medical info. Insurance applications that do not contain any medical information on them do not need to be separate, but you may find it easier to keep all like information together.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

I-9 forms

Many HR people will tell you that you should also keep I-9 forms in a separate file. The forms need to be kept at least 3 years.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/faqeev.htm

One reason being that the government is entitled to inspect these forms. If it does, you wouldn't want them seeing the employee's personal information in their personnel file. It could also open the company up to further investigation if they do see something "questionable" in the files.

Also, if the government requests these forms, you have 3 days to produce them. Depending on the number of employees your company has, it can be burdensome to dig through every employee's file to produce the forms within the 3 day deadline.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X