This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY/NJ final pay

I live in NJ, and I freelanced in a department store in NYC for a skincare line for almost exactly a year. I had to send the company an indepent contractor time sheet every 2 weeks to get paid. I was terminated yesterday and I was told my ex-boss I had to sign a letter of termination so I could get my last paycheck. I was 'sabotaged' to be terminated by my ex-boss who doesn't like me, so the reasons of my termination were untrue and I refused to sign the letter. Do labor laws apply to NY or NJ? Am I due my pay for the next pay period?

Since you worked in New York, New York labor laws would have applied to you had you been an employees. But, if I'm reading your post correctly, you were an independent contractor. As such, the terms of your payments should have been detailed in your IC agreement and, if they have not paid in accordance with the agreement, then you may have a breach of contract, but not a wage and hour claim. You may have to sue them and I recommend you see a local attorney to determine if, in fact, the company is in breach of your IC contract.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

the next pay period has passed and I have not gotten my check. do i give more time because of the holiday weekend? is there action that can be taken?

Comment

anyone know?

Comment

If, as you indicated, you are an independent contractor, then as Patty told you labor law does not apply. You are going to need to speak to a local attorney. As Patty also told you.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X