Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• employer parking lot incident Pennsylvania

Hello,,
    My car was parked in my employer's parking lot yesterday, there are no signs such as "employer not responsible for damage to cars". the parking lot does have video cameras. Someone hit my car in the back quarter panel and the damage is into the paint and the whole side of the back of the car. The car is only a year old and I have a $500 deductible.

My question is...I really don't believe anybody in management or HR will take the time to watch 8 hours of video to see who hit the car. What I would like to know is, am I entitled to insist on being able to watch the video myself.

I need to get the car fixed and don't think I should have to pay for somebody else's negligence. So can I insist on being able to watch the parking lot camera video?

thank you for anybody who might know the answer to this question

You can ask to see the video but they do not have to let you do so. I can think of several reasons it would be a bad idea to allow an employee to view security footage. You would file it with your insurance just as you would any other hit and run.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Not what I wanted to hear...I thought maybe they would be under some obligation to allow it. oh well...I will ask see what happens.

As always thank you very much Elle!

Comment

Did you file a police report....that might be a hit and run violation of section 3745 of Pa's motor vehicle code..and be sure police know there is or was video of that general area....

Comment

I'll correct myself...an accident on private property is not covered by motor vehicle code

Comment

Thanks Devon,,thinking about walking into work tomorrow 8hrs early with a bag of popcorn and ask them if I can watch a video. It may be worth $500 deductible. Lol

Comment

Yep - you can ask but they can say no. You need to file a report with your car ins. company. Sorry this happened.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

If they actually agree to let you watch the video, and you do find the culprit, I would advise you to involve your employer no further. You can ask the other employee who hit you (if it was a coworker) politely and professionally ONCE, but if they decline to do anything about it, just give the info to your insurance company and let them handle it. Do not get into an ugly confrontation at work; do not ask management to discipline the coworker or intervene in the situation; do not badmouth the other person to other coworkers, etc. There's tremendous potential for this to blow up in your face if it starts creating a workplace problem.

Comment

Good advice, ferretrick.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Keep in mind that the video cameras may not be working or may not show your car's location. My husband is IT at a chain of car dealerships. Most times the video doesn't show what he needs. either the angle is wrong or it is a blind spot. Also most video is poor quality. Even if you can see a car, you may not be able to see the license plate.

I am sympathetic because I had this type of accident. Never found the culprit as there were no cameras but I had a football size dent in the driver's door.

Comment

THANK you all for the advice. I called my ins company, there is only $1500.00 worth of damage. They wanted to know about video, and the answer my boss gave me was,,,just as HRINMA said might happen, which was,,, the camera doesn't cover part of lot I was parked in. You guys are awesome and give out great advice!

Comment

Originally posted by rear-ended View Post
                        the camera doesn't cover part of lot I was parked in.
                        Isn't that always the case! (or generally anyway)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                        Working...
                        X