Can I be fired for this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I be fired for this?

So Unit Manager and Hr was supposed to be wrapping up my investigation of my formal complaint of assault. Well early on they asked when would be a good day to meet face to face- we always meet after my shift is over. I told them Friday, well now my Unit Manager is mad at me because I was able to offer counter-points to her denial of what happened to me and she is taking it personal. She scheduled a meeting Tuesday knowing that it was not a good time for me. Tuesday me, the guy I reported, the HR manager, and her were all supposed to meet. Tuesday came and he refused to attend, he told her no and went home. So we had this meeting...that was a bad time for me...that was supposed to accommodate him, anyway. In the meeting I was informed that they had not found my claims to be true. I said OK and I thought that was the end of it. Well this morning, my charge nurse told me that my Unit Manager wanted to meet me this morning at 7:25, my shift is over at 7:30. I go down there and she is talking to the guy that refused to attend last time, I said "you wanted to see me?" she said "just a minute" and I told her I really had to go, she said just a minute again. so I close the door and wait 5 minutes and I knock again. She doesn't even answer it this time (as if im now a pest). So I leave. I left because I have a family member that I take to dialysis, had she told me prior that she wanted a meeting, I could have arranged something but I work in the mountains and I have to try to beat traffic to get back into the city to get my family member there on time. I feel that she is trying to bully me and knows using my time is a good way to do it. When we all agreed to meet, he didn't follow through, so how is it right that I cater my time around him because he now chose to meet with her. At least I attempted to meet with her, and I was under the impression I would be in and out since it was such short notice. Since you all are removed from the situation, would you fire an employee (me) due to this. They offer peer mediation at my job, can I request that I not meet with her again until we go through it? Can I ask that someone else be in charge of my case and/or request to just let me call in instead of physically be there?

You can be fired for any reason not specifically prohibited by law. There is no law that says you cannot be fired for not staying late. If, however, you had requested leave under FMLA to take your family member to/from dialysis, this might be a different story, but it doesn't sound like that's part of the issue here.

You can request anything you want within the limits of the employer policies. Policies do not generally rise to the level of an enforceable contract.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Marketeer View Post
      You can be fired for any reason not specifically prohibited by law. There is no law that says you cannot be fired for not staying late. If, however, you had requested leave under FMLA to take your family member to/from dialysis, this might be a different story, but it doesn't sound like that's part of the issue here.

You can request anything you want within the limits of the employer policies. Policies do not generally rise to the level of an enforceable contract.
      OK thanks Marketeer. if they do fire me they may in fact be doing me a favor.

Comment

If they do fire you (& we/you don't know that they will), look for other employment & file for unemployment ins. The state will decide if you qualify.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
          If they do fire you (& we/you don't know that they will), look for other employment & file for unemployment ins. The state will decide if you qualify.
          will do. Thank you Betty3

Comment

You're welcome.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X