This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bereavement pay question Pennsylvania

was wondering if someone can answer this question for me so i dont have to ask the people at work.

my father died last friday, called my boss to tell him i wont be in cause of it, he told me that the company gives 5 days off for this. my question is: are they going to make me use the vacation hours i have, (which arent alot), or does the company just pay you 40hrs, and leave your vac time alone. asking cause the company seems to love to make you use your vac hrs every opportunity they have. dont want to ask any questions about this situation to them. so thanks for any answers.

It is up to the company whether they will give you 5 days paid time off without using any vacation time. We have no way of knowing their policy.

Bereavement leave and vacation are not required legally so you wont be able to find a specific law addressing this.
    Why cant you just ask? Its a reasonable question.
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

This is entirely a matter of company policy. The law does not address it either way, in any state. Sorry.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Is the issue not addressed in your company's employee manual/handbook? This is a topic usually included, assuming your company has an employee handbook. Given that your boss instantly responded that the company gives 5 days off for bereavement leave, it would seem likely there is a written policy on this someplace, if not in a handbook, perhaps in a memo or on the firm's personnel intranet, if they have one.
        While I may work for lawyers, I am not an attorney. Comments I make are based on my working experiences and should not be interpreted as legal advice.

Comment

rear-ended, you have my sympathy on the death of your Father. I know you
          are a regular poster on here.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X