This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about proper use of PTO South Carolina

Can one of the experts here give me your opinion on PTO as it applies to the following:

I have recently taken over management of an urgent care facility in S. Carolina which only has a handful of full time employees that accrue PTO. The employee manual only explains the accural methods of the PTO and not the guidelines for using PTO.

If I have employees that work various different times an days (not a set schedule), is it common place to let them use thier PTO for extra income on a paycheck?

For example... Susie Z was on schedule for Monday, Weds and Thursday. Worked her scheduled shift each of those days and then requests an additional 12 hours of PTO. I don't really have a problem with it other than the fact that employees seem to use it up fast and then don't have PTO when they truly need it (when they miss days they were scheduled).

I am coming from a Monday-Friday 9 to 5 background so this is new to me.

Thanks for any help and advice.

I've been in payroll for over 30 years, the last 20 or so in consulting and management, and the only employer I've ever been with that allows cashing out of even a limited number of hours of vacation/PTO was as a result of a union contract provision.

It's pretty uncommon, and I agree with you. IMHO, PTO is to substitute for pay when you are absent, not to supplement it.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 02-07-2011, 04:00 PM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by SColvin View Post
      If I have employees that work various different times an days (not a set schedule), is it common place to let them use thier PTO for extra income on a paycheck?
      No, it's not common at all. That's not the purpose of PTO & defeats the purpose.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you both for your response and for making me realize that I am not completely in the dark here. I think the situation has gotten to this point simply because the previous manager did not want any confrontations with employees. Here are lots of issues to be addressed and I simply want my ducks in a row prior to proceeding.

Ever worked in an environment where the employees TELL you what hours they are working, call out then show up on unscheduled days to "make up hours" and sit on Facebook all day while complaining that they have too much work to do?

Uggh...... the joys of management.

Thanks again.

Comment

It's called letting the tail wag the dog. The dog needs to take charge.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by SColvin View Post
            Ever worked in an environment where the employees TELL you what hours they are working, call out then show up on unscheduled days to "make up hours" and sit on Facebook all day while complaining that they have too much work to do?
            Management has to put an end to this.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
              Management has to put an end to this.
              Looks like a BIG Alpha dog is needed.

Comment

I agree. And I took a flea bath this morning before work. It's a great established and most of the employees have unlimited potential. They simply have had no rules and ramifications of thier actions for the last few years.

All that is changing and the litter isn't happy at all!

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Comment

After the first firing or two, the rest will catch on.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree, you need consequences for not following the rules.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X