This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTO; No carry-over Florida

We have a PTO policy which keeps all vacation, sick, and personal time in one bucket. In January of each year full time employees are given pto hours to be used throughout the year (different amounts depending on length of service). Part time is not given pto.

We used to do pto based on an accrual basis, but changed it in november2009; effective january 2010. Also, part time employees used to accumulate pto. We used to allow carryover, and told all employees in november that they would be able to carryover pto into 2010, but that all pto (both full and part time) had to be used by december 31 2010. Full time employees will receive their designated amounts in jan 2011, and all part timers will have 0 pto hours.

We remind employees every few months that all pto must be used; a "use it or lose it mentality".

Here is my question: when it comes down to december 31, 2010, are we required to pay out pto time that employees still have? or is it legal to have them "lose it" as the policy states? I just want to make sure our bases are covered. thanks!

Fl. does not prohibit a use it or lose it policy.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Alot of companies practice this and even goverment. As you said...use it or lose it. Otherwise a long term employee could rack up months of PTO time when rolled over from one year to another. I worked at a few places where that has happened and they changed to use it or lose it. It became a perk gone wild.

Unless a signed employment contract is involved with that stipulation
      vfielder
      Last edited by vfielder; 05-31-2010, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Well, the other option is to force employees to take vacation. The majority of embezzlers and others who screw up your records are those who come in early, stay late, and never take vacation.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Hey, Patty - that sounds like me --- came in early, stayed late, rarely took a vacation but I certainly never embezzled from the co. or screwed up any records. However, I do have to agree that they are the employees who have the most opportunity to do so & are the majority that do.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Betty3-kinda like, all tigers are cats, but not all cats are tigers.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Oh, ok then.

Comment

Ah, this has nothing to do with the word embezzle? What this means is...the PTO (paid time off) Which is aquired each month (so many hours up to 1 day per month) is to used during that year and can't be roled over to the next year.
                This is paid time off from the employer and is a perk. Doesn't have anything to do with paid vacation time.

Comment

vfielder, I've managed employees and departments of many people for many years. It is a best management practice to require employees to take vacation to discourage fraud; any decent management knows that.

We have a PTO policy which keeps all vacation, sick, and personal time in one bucket
                  What do you think paid time of is, but exactly what the poster described? Of course it has to do with vacation. (banging head on wall here)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X