This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an employer create a letter of resignation? Texas

Our company has a lot of part-time & temporary employees that do not have a lot of reason to come to our physical office. As a result, we end up with a high number of people who quit, resign, or cease to work without notice. Often times when people resign, they call in & resign, but we'll request a formal, written letter of resignation to keep in their employee files. However, not everyone complies with that.

Our administrator wants me to create a form letter to be used for resignations. We'll send this to anyone who resigns over the phone or through any other non-official channel & have them sign it, return it, & then keep it in the file.

I am concerned that this can be misinterpreted as some sort of coercion to resign and wanted to know if anyone can advise on the legality or risks of using such a letter.

Thanks for any info!

I can't think of any risk of the top of my head, but I also can't think of any incentive for the individual to sign it.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

In cases where my employees tender a verbal resignation I send a letter explaining I accept the resignation. If there are final wages I send the check with the letter.

I photocopy everything (including the envelope) for my files.

Comment

HRinMA has a good plan. I just don't see any incentive for the employee to sign a resignation letter if he's already called and resigned over the phone.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agreed. More over, all incentives seem to be in the direction of the employee NOT signing the letter. It seems that only really dumb ex-employees will sign the letter.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I also agree with the other responders.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X