This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application Question Arizona

Is it legal to ask on an employment application if the applicant has access to the internet on a regular basis? We are considering having a part of our training done online, but not at work, at their home, and was wondering if this is legal?

You may end up with a disparate impact claim. You can state, though, that "From time to time, online training must be completed. Would you be able to complete online training from a location other than the company?" That way, if they don't have or can't get a computer and internet functionality, they could still say yes if they can get access to same, say from a friend or at the library.

But I do have to ask why such online training can't be done while at the work site. If the employees are nonexempt and the training is mandatory, you're going to have to pay them anyway.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agreed that it must be paid time for non-exempts so the employer might as well require the employee to do it onsite so that they know it was actually done...that the employee actually paid attention rather than starting it and walking away.

Comment

Originally posted by hr for me View Post
        Agreed that it must be paid time for non-exempts so the employer might as well require the employee to do it onsite so that they know it was actually done...that the employee actually paid attention rather than starting it and walking away.
        Yep, and then fudging how long it took them. Cynic much?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agree with Patty & hr for me. What is the reason for having/needing some of the training done off site?
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X