This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adoption/ FMLA/ Girlfriend's child Indiana

I realize FMLA covers adoption, but does is cover adoption of a girlfriend's child and if so, does it cover things like taking time off work for a home inspection, court dates, etc?

Usually, when we think adoption it is a fostering family or outside the family situation. This one is a little different, but I wasn't sure if it was considered the same type of thing.

If you are adopting the child, yes, it woud apply to you. I would say that home inspection and court dates would be part of the FMLA.
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

When you say, girlfriend's child, do you mean the employee will not be a legal parent of the child?

I'm reading this two ways and I don't know which way you mean it:

1.) The girlfriend of the employee is adopting a child

2.) The employee is adopting a child that his/her girlfriend gave birth to.

I think FMLA would apply for the second reason, but not the first.
      Last edited by cbg; 07-13-2009, 11:14 AM.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I couldn't make it out either, cbg.

And why would someone adopt his GF's child if he is not the biological father and they're not married? Unless it is a lesbian couple and both are women.

Comment

Since this was posted in the HR forum for employers, managers & HR personnel, I assume you are talking about someone other than yourself.

Could you clarify your question for us, please. It wasn't real clear. Thanks.
          (Who is adopting a child, etc.)
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X