X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California State Laws California

Hello,

My employer is out of Maryland; however we plan to hire 30 employees in California. I am looking for suggestions of where I can take a class on California state laws. I heard a nasty little rumor that California was like it's country when it came to employment laws

You might try the Chamber of Commerce, I think they have a good publication.

The EDD often has workshops; I don't know if any of them are webcast.

Oh, and I'm sorry.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 07-09-2009, 07:13 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Also try a local SHRM chapter in CA, BLR has some good online courses.
      Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabrina Michelle Garner View Post
        I heard a nasty little rumor that California was like it's country when it came to employment laws
        Sorry, but it's not a rumor.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

You might want to download CA publication DE-44 (employer tax guide). Past that the following pointer has CA-DLSE fact sheets.
          http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/DLSE-FAQs.htm
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I second the Chamber of Commerce. Here is their HR site, an awesome resource for employers!

http://www.calbizcentral.com/HRC/Pages/default.aspx

Aww, come on everyone...it's not that bad to administer HR here

Comment

You mean the Peoples' Republic....of California??

Just wait until you get your first CA maternity leave that qualfies for FMLA/CFRA. (with 30 employees PDL is an automatic shoo-in, but you don't have to deal with FMLA/CFRA until you hit 50 employees in CA).

I would venture we will be seeing you post more frequently

Comment

unpaid admin leave for 24 hour fitness

i am or was an employee at (deleted), 2 weeks ago this wed. july 29th 2009. i was put on unpaid administrative leave for a crime i had confessed to with the company.

I had taken one of the members credit card number and used it to buy a gift card for $360.00

lost prevention and my manager pulled me into the room where i confessed to this crime with a written confession statement.

Since this is illegal not only by the company but by law as well why was i not firied? why was i only placed under unpaid administrative leave if i confessed to the crime and they caught me on camera. why not fire me. is there some kind of law or rule to this i can know about since i should have been fired on the spot please someone help me
                Last edited by cbg; 07-28-2009, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Duplicate - do not reply to. marcelino, please post your question only once & also start your own new thread. Do not add your question to another poster's thread. Thanks.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

California has a wonderful law that says if an employee leaves and you fail to pay them all of their pay, you have to pay them a day's wages for up to 30 days as a penalty. Most employees don't know about it, but you should.

As a Californian, I'm amazed at the lack of worker rights in the rest of the nation, it's funny that y'all think it's a hellhole for employers. The laws wouldn't have been passed if employers treated their employees like real assets to their company instead of mules.
                    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

It's not the rights or lack thereof; it's trying to keep track of two different sets of rules. CA has made laws about things that no other state has even thought to put into place. The reason is more or less immaterial; someone asks a question and it's more like, there's the rule for the rest of the country, now what's the rule for CA again?

And again, regardless of the reason, many smaller employers simply can't afford the costs of all the wonderful rights CA gives to employees.
                      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Apparently, the state of CA can't afford it either.....
                        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

AMEN to both cbg's and Elle's replies!

Comment

Second that AMEN!!! Arnie helped by implementing some workers' comp reform in 2004, but the new legislation is all focused on job killers.

By the way, we don't RAISE TAXES anymore; we merely INCREASE REVENUE STREAMS. Nice verbiage, huh?

Can I get a ladder to get off my soapbox now? I believe there is a CA law that says the employer must provide it!

Comment

Originally posted by HR/DisMgr View Post
                              Second that AMEN!!! Arnie helped by implementing some workers' comp reform in 2004, but the new legislation is all focused on job killers.

By the way, we don't RAISE TAXES anymore; we merely INCREASE REVENUE STREAMS. Nice verbiage, huh?

Can I get a ladder to get off my soapbox now? I believe there is a CA law that says the employer must provide it!
                              LOL...increase revenue streams?? That's good!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X