This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Compete Agreements Illinois

We are in the processing of hiring an individual who worked with us about 3-4 years ago, then left to seek other employment in the industry. That new employer had him sign a non-compete, stating that he could not work in a similar industry / similar capacity / similar or same state as that employer. We are the same industry, he will be working in a different capabity, and for a branch/state that does not include the competitor. The employer, however, laid him off in January and he called us.

The agreement further asks that the employer be given the right to sign off on any questionable interpretations. I asked the individual to receive such a letter from the previous employer, which is still pending. Management would also like me to get a letter from the applicant stating that we requested the letter and that the applicant bears all risk.

Any thoughts on risk here?

If I was the individual who signed the non-compete, I would take the non-compete to an employment or contract attorney in Il. to see if it would be enforceable. In Il. non-competes are enforceable if the terms are reasonable and necessary to protect a legitimate, protectable busi. interest of the employer. They must be reasonable in regard to time, territory & activity restrictions.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X