This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Compete or Confidentiality Washington Washington

We are trying to make sure that if employees leave the company, they don't compete with us using our customer information (customer list, pricing information, etc.). We aren't concerned that they may compete with our business, we just don't want them to be able to use their knowledge of confidential information regarding our relationship with customers to compete with our business.

Do we want to have the employees sign a confidentiality agreement or a covenant not to compete?

I believe the answer is a confidentiality agreement, so I'll go ahead and ask my next question. I found a sample agreement to use, but I am wondering whether there are any special issues that we need to be aware of for the state of Washington. Does anyone know of any? Or, does anyone know of a website that I can research for the answer?

Thank you.

Nice review on non-compete agreements

An excellent case law review entitled "Are Executive Non-Compete Agreements Enforceable?” was written by Anthony C. Valiulis (http://muchshelist.com/466.htm). Although the article is written for Illinois, the author is a leading expert in this country on non-compete agreements.
    I am not an attorney. My personal opinions are not legal advice.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." --- Franklin Roosevelt

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. --- Martin Luther King Jr.

A trap was set once upon a time; however, the designer fell in himself!!

Comment

You'll probably want to have an employment or contract attorney in your state help you draft it.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

You should also see if your customer list meets the definition of a trade secret under your state's trade secret act. If it doesn't meet the requirements, then you lose a lot of protection.

Anyway, base on your post, you are looking for a non-solicitation agreement, not a non-compete. They are two different things.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I am sure that Betty3 is correct, ultimately we do need to consult an attorney. Currently, I am just trying to gather some background information or order to keep costs down.

Originally posted by TheRed View Post
          You should also see if your customer list meets the definition of a trade secret under your state's trade secret act. If it doesn't meet the requirements, then you lose a lot of protection.

Anyway, base on your post, you are looking for a non-solicitation agreement, not a non-compete. They are two different things.

Would a confidentiality agreement work? Or am I confused about the purpose of these three types of agreements?

I took your advice and did some research regarding the definition of a trade secret under the law in my state. The law differentiates between a "trade secret" and a "secret." One example of a "secret" that is given is "a secret bid for a contract." This seems more like the information that we are trying to keep former employees from using: our contract information with customers, pricing and that sort of thing. Is there a way to do this either by one of the three agreements mentioned or by some other type of agreement.

Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X