This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Heartache Leave"

Hmm, hope this is not a new trend that will spread to the US. I wonder how anyone at this company gets any work done? People get paid time off for going through a breakup, on top of the time they already get for shopping!!!

http://www.reuters.com/article/email/idUST8913820080128

Oh, for heaven's sake. Although I admit I've taken a couple of "mental health" days when I've had personal issues (yes, a breakup) that affected my focus at work. Had to burn vacation to do it, though.

How about when I had to put my sweet 18 year-old cat to sleep? That should count, too.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Awww Patty , I just had to put my 9 year old cat down! So I know what that's like. I still came to work; I just sublimated my grief into *****iness!

But I'm sure that company would consider "pet compassion leave" too. But we'd have to go to Japan.
      Last edited by TSCompliance; 05-20-2008, 11:48 AM. Reason: wow, the site now screens out certain words! It was the B-word, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by TSCompliance View Post
        Awww Patty , I just had to put my 9 year old cat down! So I know what that's like. I still came to work; I just sublimated my grief into *****iness!

But I'm sure that company would consider "pet compassion leave" too. But we'd have to go to Japan.

It was over a year-and-a-half ago. Smokey, who I had since she was a kitten, that is. I was sadder about that, though, than when I broke up with the jerk I wasted 12 years on.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I hear ya Patty. My kitties are better than most of the people I know.

I must be lucky, my boss let's me cut out of work whenever needed for our 4 legged kids and he doesn't charge me time.

Have I said lately how much I like it here and I'm glad I decided to stay????

Comment

It's a company staffed by women with products targeted for women. Promoting that they provide heartache leave and shopping leave is actually a stroke of brilliance as a marketing ploy for the company.

Comment

I think that as a woman I'm a little offended by their notion that this kind of thing would appeal to women. Are we all supposed to be spineless sniffling saps who think that life revolves around boyfriends and shopping? I'd be sure not to patronize them!

Comment

And they only have 6 employees.

Two questions...

One, do you really want people joining your company for this reason?

Two, given the choices of hearing about it at work... I might just agree... or tell that person to work out of the home.

I see no mention of a bender. Does that mean that you can only take time off if you are going to go home and cry? What about a week in Cancun with an old girlfriend to get the "ex stink" off your carcass?
                Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

I just had to go to the mat with my new boss because I had reserved last Friday as a day off back in September (he started in March), and he thought an RFP might come out that day (in the end, it didn't). Why had I reserved the day off? It was my grandmother's 100th birthday, and I wanted to spend the day with her and planned a punch cake celebration with her friends at the nursing home. I ended up being able to take the day off, but it was a real struggle. The head of the department finally told him, "Whatever you think that you need her to do that day, I personally will do it for her."

And, yes, I am looking. Pray that I find something good soon.
                  I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Wow, 100th birthday - congrats to your grandmother.

I didn't take any time off work but I could have used some when my 17 year old beagle died & when my 4 year old dachshund died after back surgery.

This is kind of a sad thread.
                    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thanks! My grandmother is a remarkable woman who is still in an independent living unit in her retirement community.

We had to have one of our cats put to sleep last fall after a diagnosis of lymphoma, so I sympathize with all the pet owners in this thread. I had to go to work right afterward, the empty cat carrier in the back seat of my car, because an RFP was coming out that day. That's why I reserved May 16th as a day of months in advance. I recognize that working in an RFP-driven environment, there will be times that I have to work when I'd prefer to be somewhere. My grandmother's 100th was just not one of those times.

Comment

I am gonna raise my hand and fess up to a "mental health" day when we had to put down our kitty, POODZ, this past October. We bottle fed her. She was blind, mentally retarded, a hermaphrodite and inbread (a brother and a sister mated). She was also a midget. At four months old, she only weighed about 1.5 lbs. She was the only surviving kitty in the litter.

We FINALLY get her on hard food, and she started having seizures. We had to put her down.

....HARDEST DECISION I'VE EVER MADE....

R.I.P. Little POODZ!

Comment

Originally posted by joec
                          On a happy note look at all the Social security marketeer's grandmother got to collect. I tell you what ,I want the last check I ever right in my life to bounce.
                          JoeC
                          She actually hasn't collected that much Social Security. She and my grandfather both worked for the federal government, and neither of them paid into the Social Security system until after my grandfather retired from the government and worked as consultant for enough years to meet the minimum number of quarters needed.

Comment

Wow, I didn't mean to make this a sad thread about deceased pets. Now I am sniffling...

I was actually appalled about the company that gives heartache leave and shopping leave, then I found out here that they only have 6 employees!

Why on earth did this get picked up as a world-wide story on Reuters??? Just to get businesses talking about whether we should consider this as a good idea? Ugh. Death of pets, sure, but losing a boyfriend/girlfriend, no! and certainly not for shopping!

Benders, hmmmm, maybe looking better & better...

Comment

It's five o'clock somewhere.
                              Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X