This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copying employees personel file

I have been requested to make copies of a CA past employee's personel file including all payroll records, attendance, application, employee benefit forms, disciplinary action, medical records & workers compensation records for pick-up by a digital document retrieval company for a worker's comp appeals board sebpoena. I do not have an employee's authorization to release medical docs. Do I have to comply and if so, am I going against the past employees right to privacy?

This is with regards to a workers comp claim? EVEN IF you are subject to HIPAA (most employers are not), workers comp is expressly excluded from HIPAA.

If the information has been subpoena'd, yes, you have to comply.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

FYI---never assure ANY employee of complete confidentiality on ANY matter. You cannot make that guarantee.

Comment

Agree with cbg - you have to comply in this situation.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I do have to say that, in my experience for many years as Custodian of Records, that attorneys in subpoenas often ask for "any and all records" and they're often also going on a fishing expedition. Call the attorney and see EXACTLY what he needs, especially if the deadline is near. If this is a long-term employee, collecting all this data could take hours and hours.

And agree with Betty3 and cbg; this is a subpoena. You must comply or be in contempt of court.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you all. I feel much more comfortable releasing information now.

Comment

On a side note, I would have your employment counsel review the sdt and the personnel file. There are some documents that may be privileged and can legally be held back. Additionally, there may be some documents that need to have parts of them redacted. For example, if there is something in the personnel file that refers to other empoyees, you could be breaching the secondary employee's privacy.

If it is a w/c claim and you have an attorney, have them review and respond on your behalf.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X