This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drug testing New York

Is preemployment drug testing and random testing of current employees cost -effective measure for every business?

Should employees in a firm should be drug tested or do you think only certain designated positions need to be tested--depending on the business and the types of positions? Considering the costs!

Originally posted by ckret01 View Post
    Is preemployment drug testing and random testing of current employees cost -effective measure for every business?

Should employees in a firm should be drug tested or do you think only certain designated positions need to be tested--depending on the business and the types of positions? Considering the costs!
    Yes, it could be cost-effictive for every business. It doesn't matter what I think. Each employer is free to make his own decisions.
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

There is no good answer to the question.

A recent article I read showed that companies are backing off from drug testing since it is not cost effective.

I am sure that there are other studies showing the opposite.

For YOUR company, if you have been doing drug testing, you can estimate the costs of doing the testing versus the costs of hiring drug users. The latter tend to have a higher rate of WC injuries, absenteeism, low production, but you will need to figure out if that is true for you or not.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

That is something each employer would have to decide for theirself based on such things as # of employees, type of business, etc.

It has been reported to be cost effective for many businesses due to a decr. in tardiness, absenteeism & turnover; less attitude problems; less theft; incr. productivity; & less crime & violence in the workplace. Also, less health care costs & WC claims. It is reported that over 50% of accidents on the job are related to drug or alcohol abuse.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Are you asking as an employer or is this a school work of some kind? Your other question sounds a lot like homework as well.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

yes i think all should be tested, from the new hire all the way to the top personnel, including the ceo's.

Comment

pretty much yes
              war with yourself causes war with others

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X