• need advice - experience indicates age on resume New York

I am asking all you experts for advice!

FActs:

1) husbands employer (hotel) was just bought out
    2) he is an exec with them
    3) new co decided to get rid of execs and use managers instead
    4) he is 55
    5) he has tons of greate us and european exp tht all relate to his industry

Question: if he shows ALL his experience, even though it is relavant, a person can get a good idea of his age, and let's face it might not want to hire someone in his age bracket (we know that is discrimiation, but let's be honest..it happens and he can't prove it).

How can you show experience and longevity in positions that are relevant to your field without giving away how old you are

And also, where does someone find a "resume expert/consultant???"

Thanks in advance...

You can google a place to help with a resume. All applications ask for a date of birth, if he does not disclose this, he will probably not get hired. I wish him the best of luck.

Comment

I agree with Turbo on the DOB thing. It is never in one's best interest to be less than honest on a job application. It is a shame that the new company made a decision that has cost him his exec position. Many times what looks like a slammed door at the onset turns out to be a blessing in disguise. Good luck to him/ya'll on the job search.
      Last edited by BnThrDnTht; 07-22-2007, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your kinds words of encouragement. Any suggestions on how many years back to include on the resume?

Comment

I would include any pertinent work history information in relation to the job he is sending the resume for. So this would entail going as far back as his history can support relative employment history.

Comment

Originally posted by turbowray View Post
            All applications ask for a date of birth
            No, they do not. Careful employers will leave that off the application and substitute a question such as "Are you at least 18 years of age?"

However, the OP's question was about listing the entire work history on a resume. Clearly, if I listed my first job out of college (1971), anyone who is reasonably intelligent will be able to do the math and figure that I am more than 40 years old, unless I was a real child prodigy and graduated from college at the age of 3 or less. Or, 50 years, and graduated at 14.

Resumes are designed to get the interest of HR and hiring managers.

The last five years or so are what count, with emphasis on the experience the resume holder could bring to the company.

Besides, any resume that lists, in my case, all 36 years worth of jobs and experience, would be much too long to review and likely to hit the dead pile as soon as it was seen.

Keep the resume to one page. Highlight the last few jobs held (do go back at least five years). Working as a stock boy in K-Mart three decades ago is totally irrelevant to the job being sought now.
            Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

If he has changed industries or jobs, I've seen resumes that indicated the relevant jobs by date and anything before that as "Prior to 1985 worked in the retail industry" or something like that. It hides exactly how old you are without lying or leaving off what you used to do.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
                No, they do not. Careful employers will leave that off the application and substitute a question such as "Are you at least 18 years of age?"

However, the OP's question was about listing the entire work history on a resume. Clearly, if I listed my first job out of college (1971), anyone who is reasonably intelligent will be able to do the math and figure that I am more than 40 years old, unless I was a real child prodigy and graduated from college at the age of 3 or less. Or, 50 years, and graduated at 14.

Resumes are designed to get the interest of HR and hiring managers.

The last five years or so are what count, with emphasis on the experience the resume holder could bring to the company.

Besides, any resume that lists, in my case, all 36 years worth of jobs and experience, would be much too long to review and likely to hit the dead pile as soon as it was seen.

Keep the resume to one page. Highlight the last few jobs held (do go back at least five years). Working as a stock boy in K-Mart three decades ago is totally irrelevant to the job being sought now.
                Every one I have filled out asked that, was that illegal?

Comment

Originally posted by turbowray View Post
                  Every one I have filled out asked that, was that illegal?
                  There are no illegal questions. There are no laws that say "It is forbidden to ask XYZ".

They can ask your race, sex, religion, etc. and it all would be legal to ask.

The problem is on how they use that information in the hiring process.

It is just a bad practice to ask questions that go into protected classes.

Age is one of those.
                  Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

I've been in the same line of work since I graduated from college in 1976.

I have a functional resume (not a chronological one) highlighting my accomplishments in different areas of my expertise. For the employment history section, I have my jobs back to 1987, which was my first management position and the company I was with the longest.

This was recommended to me by an outsourced employment counseling service I could take advantage of when, in 2003, a had a position that was eliminated. Perhaps the new company can provide this service as part of his severance package (which I hope he is getting, to some extent).

Good luck to him. It's hard when you've worked your way up to senior management over a lot of years. I know that from prior experience.
                    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by denibeans63 View Post
                      I am asking all you experts for advice!

FActs:

1) husbands employer (hotel) was just bought out
                      2) he is an exec with them
                      3) new co decided to get rid of execs and use managers instead
                      4) he is 55
                      5) he has tons of greate us and european exp tht all relate to his industry

Question: if he shows ALL his experience, even though it is relavant, a person can get a good idea of his age, and let's face it might not want to hire someone in his age bracket (we know that is discrimiation, but let's be honest..it happens and he can't prove it).

How can you show experience and longevity in positions that are relevant to your field without giving away how old you are

And also, where does someone find a "resume expert/consultant???"

Thanks in advance...
                      OK dumb question, but I don't see it being asked, was he under contract, that states the reasons they can let him go. Even though they got rid of his position, I wonder if they were responsible, under this contract, to find another position within the company, to keep him employed, if he did nothing, according to this employment contract, to just be let go. I could be way off base, but I am curious none the less. Maybe they should have offered him a managerial position??? I am so sorry this happened!

Comment

TUrbowray: Thanks for asking. We live in NY, at will state, and no contract of anykind, non-union hotel.

The whole situation for everyone was handled poorly. Bascically people were told if you don't get an offer letter on 6/28, don't bother coming in on 6/29. At least they told him fact to face. Others were kept, but at very reduced salaries. Nothing in writing of anykind, other than from the old "owners" stating the hotel was sold and giving websites for unemployment and COBRA (Outrageously expensive).

The old hotel co offered him a 3 week stint at another property to help them out. He is looking into that now.

Their decision (new co) was financially based (I think ). My husband increased their gsa scores (hotel quality) in his dept by over 30% in the past 2 years, lowered turnover in his dept by 20%, and increased what the dept made while lowering the costs to the co. BUT, he was just making more money than they wanted to pay. OK wiht the old employer, not with the new.

Thanks again for eveyone's response.

Comment

denibeans, there are employers who value experience over youth. I think you're really jumping the gun in assuming, before he even sends his resume out, that he's going to be discriminated against. Many employers, including myself, recognize that in many cases older workers have a better work ethic, are more reliable, and then on top of that they've got the experience that younger workers do not. Don't make yourself ill over a problem that may not even arise.
                          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Not getting into the age debate, just some pointers on resumes. I review a lot of them and see the good and the bad.

Besides the issue of potentially revealing his age, your husband needs to sit down and seriously evaluate the relevance of his experience. One (extremely general) rule of thumb is experience over 10 years ago doesn't hold the same relevance in terms of knowledge growth and scope of responsbility. I'm sure his early jobs didn't have the same level of accountability and authority as his most recent; does he really think it is necessary to include, say, the front desk coverage he did early in his career (just as an example) in order to highlight his career growth in the industry?

Consider the resume as a marketing tool, not a lifetime record of his work history. It should be factual, accurate, and engage the interest of the company to the point the company wants to know more about him. It should not include excruciating detail about every component of the job - instead focus on answering the questions of 1) scope of the position, 2) authority of the position, 3) responsibility level/accountability of the position. He will also want to highlight significant accomplishments. (The examples you provided are on target.) Trust me - if the hiring company wants examples of how he performed certain aspects of the job, the interviewers will ask.

Good luck to you and your husband!

Comment

Dorris: GREAT advice. Thanks....I am calling him now to say only go back 10 years. Plus, half the things that he accomplished were in Europe, an I am not sure that saying he earned a michilin star in the US has the same impact as stating it on a British resume!

Plus it will sut the length of the resume down, and someone else stated just putting "prior to 1985, experience in____" that was a good idea too.

Thanks.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X