Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Massachusetts State Ethics Law, M.G.L. C. 268A, s.7

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Massachusetts State Ethics Law, M.G.L. C. 268A, s.7

    I was employed by a state agency for 4 years. I accepted another state agency job and took a 4 week vacation to try out the job to see if I like it or not. Somehow the agency found out I was working the other job and they sent me a letter stating I violated the Massachusetts State Ethics Law, M.G.L. C. 268A, s.7 which prohibits me from being employed by two different state agencies at the same time. They gave me only a 1 day deadline stating that if they don't receive a resignation letter from me on the new job the next day at 5:00PM they will terminate me.

    The next day I left the new job at 4:30PM to hand in my resignation letter and arrived there late at 5:15PM due to traffic. They were closed and the doors were locked. I received an email from them at 5:25PM stating I was terminated because they didn't receive the resignation letter.

    Is it true i am suppose to have within 30 days from the day they notify me of the violation to resign from my other job? Letting me know of the violation on 9/15/16 and giving me a deadline of 9/16/16 seems too short of a notice and harsh.

  • #2
    I don't see anything in the law that requires them to give you 30 days.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.