Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bonding question RE Felony, when jobseeker felony exceeds statutory limit California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonding question RE Felony, when jobseeker felony exceeds statutory limit California

Any Human Resource Managers or Labor Attorneys out there? My friend is job hunting, passed background because the felony in his past exceeds the 7-year statutory limit set for background checks in his line of work. He has rehabilitated and is unlikely to ever comit this felony again, nor does he do any illegal activities, ie no drugs, etc. He has undergone training in his field, and wishes to advance. However, the position requires bonding, and the bond paperwork asks, "Have you EVER committed a felony?".
    Does he... (1) mark YES, almost certainly losing him the position; (2) mark NO, because he hasn't in the last seven years, and the Bondholder cannot look past 7 years, or (3) leave both the YES and NO boxes blank, with the understanding that the Bondholder may press him for an answer, and in that case what would you suggest?

He answers it truthfully. Yes he has committed a felony. That may or may not exclude him from being bonded. I don't ever suggest a person lie personally or even intentionally leave the question blank. Unfortunately rehabilitation (and 7 years) doesn't always clear the record for every job positions.... if the requirement is a "bonafide occupational qualification", then he may not be able to overcome it.
    Last edited by hr for me; 04-16-2016, 03:31 PM.

Comment

If the question asks if ever committed a felony & gives no time limit, the answer should be yes --- all questions need to be answered truthfully.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Agreed. "Ever" means "ever". If they only wanted you to answer for 7 years, they'd say 7 years. Not to mention that the laws on lookbacks for criminal records are very complicated and it's not quite as simple and cut and dried as you're trying to make it.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank you all for your input

Originally posted by cbg View Post
          Agreed. "Ever" means "ever". If they only wanted you to answer for 7 years, they'd say 7 years.
          Thank you for your input, specificity, and time. Based on the consensus, I am suggesting that he answer truthfully.

I am no attorney. I answered falsely on applications for employment, health insurance, and driver's license when I felt answering truthfully would negatively affect the outcome, especially if my peers and mentors suggested the same. As such, my personal experience would have led me to suggest he answer falsely. However, the violent nature of the felony suggested that my experience didn't apply, which is why I posted here.

I still think the jobseeker deserves this job, no matter what. His crime was violent, but occurred during the years when men are statistically the most violent. Since his release, he has a more even keel, considers the consequences of his actions, in addition to getting an education. My sole wish is that he increase his earning power to enable him to purchase a home ("the American Dream"). Hopefully, the bonding question doesn't impede.

Comment

Originally posted by MyFriendAsks View Post
            Thank you for your input, specificity, and time. Based on the consensus, I am suggesting that he answer truthfully.

I am no attorney. I answered falsely on applications for employment, health insurance, and driver's license when I felt answering truthfully would negatively affect the outcome, especially if my peers and mentors suggested the same. As such, my personal experience would have led me to suggest he answer falsely. However, the violent nature of the felony suggested that my experience didn't apply, which is why I posted here.

I still think the jobseeker deserves this job, no matter what. His crime was violent, but occurred during the years when men are statistically the most violent. Since his release, he has a more even keel, considers the consequences of his actions, in addition to getting an education. My sole wish is that he increase his earning power to enable him to purchase a home ("the American Dream"). Hopefully, the bonding question doesn't impede.
            You're lucky your false answers did not come back to "haunt" you -- it is possible they still could. I do not believe any responders on this forum would suggest anyone lie on any application.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

His crime was violent, but occurred during the years when men are statistically the most violent.

That doesn't make it okay, or justify it in any way.

I still think the jobseeker deserves this job, no matter what.

I think everyone who want wants to work deserves A job. That doesn't necessarily mean he is entitled to THIS job.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I agree with cbg that anyone who wants to work should be able to. However, that doesn't mean you can lie on an application in hopes of getting a job. If a person lies & the employer later finds out, termination is a good possibility. Even if the background check is clear, there are other ways that an employer can find out about a person's past history.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X