Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

contract ended early without proper notice North Carolina

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • contract ended early without proper notice North Carolina

    Hi have a question about my employment contract I was at a company and was let go in march with a 1 week verbal notice. In my contract it states it must be in writing for the notice, would this be grounds to fight for in court? I'm just curious I did work out my last week and turned in badge to security on the way out I never signed anything. Can someone please advise me.

  • #2
    Were you a W-2 employee or a 1099 independent contractor? Either could have a contract, but generally it would be more likely with an IC.

    None of us have seen or read the contract, so you need to take it to a local attorney to see if you have recourse. Not everything a person thinks rises to the level of a contract. But if you actually have one, if all they violated was verbal vs written, then you aren't out much. If you were to be given more than 1 week's notice, you might be owed some severance. But your only recourse is an attorney and/or small claims court.


    • #3
      If you were given a verbal instead of written notice per the contract, it's "not likely" you would get much in court. I agree though that you might want to take the contract to a lawyer since we can't read it. There is always a possibility you could be owed "something".
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.