Tuition withheld from final check California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuition withheld from final check California

One of the teachers at the preschool my children attend was recently let go. Her son was also a student there. When she was given her final check, they withheld $1800 in unpaid tuition for her son. Is that allowable? Does it matter that the preschool is part of a synagogue/religious school?

This is maybe complicated.
    - Is the employer governmental in nature? A lot of normal CA labor law does not apply to governmental emploeyrs.
    - Did the employee sign anything authorizing the deduction?
    - Was the money actually owed?

I can give you a pointer to the regular rules, but governmental exceptions are not always spelled out.
    http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Deductions.htm
    Last edited by DAW; 08-14-2012, 02:56 PM. Reason: Left off URL.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

She is not a government employee. It's a preschool that is part of a synagogue. The money was owed for the 2011-2012 school year and still outstanding after the school year ended. I do not know if she signed anything, so I will assume she did not as it was a surprise to her when she got her final check.

Comment

She can always file a claim with the DLSE if she chooses. However, if she owed the tuition, she owed the tuition. She might get her wages back but she is still going to need to pay up for tuition. Basically, it is going to be a wash.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Thank for your time and input, it was helpful as always.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X