This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1099 Employee Wronged Nevada

I was hired as a 1099 employee in August of 09. Per the IRS definition I WAS NOT a 1099 employee. I worked a steady 50+hr per week schedule for almost two years. I worked from home on VoiceOver I/P and was paid once per week via direct deposit.
    I was fired recently for making a moral decision that while clearly in violation of my original agreement with the company, did not take business away from that company.
    I was then asked to sign a Termination Agreement which I declined. The company stated that they would not pay me what was owed to me unless I signed the agreement.
    When I asked them if they would pay me what was owed to me that was yet to be collected (Checks from contracts already signed; payments from clients), they said they would "Look into it; check with owners", but never did when I inquired a second time.
    I have consulted with 1 attorney who feels the original contract is weak enough to have a case, and that the company doesn't appear to pay any taxes, workman's comp, etc, but wants a 5k retainer I cannot afford.
    I need help on a contingency basis. Is this wishful thinking? I need a pitbull attorney who would take a good look at the case and not charge me an arm and a leg upfront.
    I can likely borrow the money, but want to be fairly sure I have a good case first. That's only ONE attorney who says so. Since I have worked with many attorneys in my past, I know that a small percentage are TRULY competent.

Help!

D&B

No attorneys follow these boards looking for clients. Few attorneys take employment cases on contingency. You'll need to keep researching locally to see if you can find one who will.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Did you pay all the taxes on your income, social security, medicare, state and federal? If not you may be opening a can of worms by filing a lawsuit.

If you feel you were wrongly classified and deserve backpay, you can file a claim with the state.

Comment

If you want another attorney to review your contract, try contacting your
        local legal aid society or your state or federal bar assoc. & see if you can get
        a referral to a no cost/low cost attorney.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

And just to be clear, there is no such thing as a "1099 employee". All workers legally are either employees or independant contractors.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs13.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=99921,00.html
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X