This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this, but help please Illinois

I live in a small town called (deleted). Recently, I have applied 2 or 3 times to all places I can legally work in. Whenever I go in to follow up with my application, they ALL say they're either not hiring, or they're not interested. But what ticks me off the most out of ALL of this is that my friends can apply once, and get hired on. I'm 16, by the way. This is the standard for everything. I can work lots of hours, and everything. They just refuse to hire me for some unknown reason. I hate it because I literally have no money, and I can't beg for money from my parents because we're BARELY making it by. I don't have a car, but I have a valid driver's license. And yeah, I'm just REALLY fed up with every employer in this town because I could really use the money, but they obviously don't give a f***. Also, if you guys could email me some advice as to what I can do about this, that'd be great because I don't feel like I'll be on here very much at all. But if not, I'll try my best to look at this. Thanks.
    Last edited by Betty3; 05-22-2011, 11:27 PM. Reason: remove city & e-mail address

I removed your city & also your e-mail address for your protection. We have
    spammers that troll the forum.

We don't know you & we would have no idea why you are not getting hired.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

You could try doing a google search for tips on how to complete an employment
      application & tips on how to present yourself when going for a job interview.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Agreed. Since the reason is unknown to you, it is equally unknown to us. Absent the decision being based on something protected under Title VII, their decision not to hire you is not illegal.

Based on the limited information given, all you can do is what Betty said. Look online at tips on how to get hired and ways to present yourself in a positive manner. Also, I'm assuming you haven't had a job before (which is a possible issue). Try to find ways to highlight "work" experience you have had, even if it was not under a formal employer.

Comment

My daughters have the same issue. In my town there are few businesses and those who get hired know either a member of management or a current employee at the company.

Do you have any people who you can talk to at a company who can recommend you for a position?

Comment

I have three daughters that went through this.

Things to be aware of.

Attitude. I need a job, and will be an asset to your company. I will work here without looking at my phone, talking to my friends, or complaining about the slightest thing. I will say "yes sir/ma'am, and look at the interviewer, not the floor.

Clothing. I will wear clean clothing. Nothing that has advertising, drug/alcohol, or political overtones to the interview. I will not be pierced in strange places, or chew gum during the interview.

Transportation. Having a license is good, but having wheels and insurance is best. (sorry, employers need someone that can get there with a phone call.) Stress that you can make it to work on time, and are saving up for college and a car. (big points.)

Keep returning to the places you have applied, and you should get a job, as many people will change priorities from working to vacation, and split. By you showing up regularly, the employer gets the impression that you want the job and are willing to work.

Good luck.

Comment

One word of caution; don't go back to the same place TOO often. There is a fine line between showing an employer how eager you are, and driving that same employer crazy.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                One word of caution; don't go back to the same place TOO often. There is a fine line between showing an employer how eager you are, and driving that same employer crazy.
                Ha! True. I worked at a Starbucks for a year in high school and this one girl kept coming by all the time. We all started getting a little creeped out.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                  That's a real good suggestion.

Comment

In everyone's opinion, would once a week be over doing it?

Comment

YES. Once a month might be too often if there isn't a lot of turnover. Once a week is WAY too often even if they have 100% turnover - unless they have 100% turnover on a weekly basis.
                      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I'm assuming it will be some sort of fast-food/restaurant/department store place the OP will get a job. Those places have higher turnover than most everywhere else and will generally lose a few people on average every couple months. For a few months they might lose none and all of a sudden lose six. I'd say once every 1-2 months for those types of jobs unless the manager gives you indication to check in at a different frequency.

Comment

Look at your friends who ARE being hired, and look at yourself. What is different?

Do they speak differently to adults than you do? Do they dress differently from you? Do they make eye contact with people when you do not? How are you presenting yourself when you walk in and ask for an application? A lot of teens don't realize that you should dress up a little when you're just asking for an application, not just for the interview (some don't even realize they need to dress up for the interview).

Comment

One suggestion - I didn't see your email address before it got deleted, but if it has the word "freak" in it, hiring managers may not be interested in employing anyone who describes himself or herself as a "freak." Get a plain email address, something with just initials, your first and last name and use that for job searching.

Do ALL of your friends have a car? Do you have a good way to get to work without one? I realize it's hard to buy a car without a job. But as an employer, it's hard to hire someone who can't show up on time for work.

Comment

The OP mentioned they were 16. That may be a deterrant to some employers with the restrictions placed on minors and the type of work looking for.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X