This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a new employer decrease my rate-per-hour after hiring me? Colorado

I was recently offered a new job starting at $14 for the first three months, moving up to $15 or $15.50, depending upon performance during the first three months. I agreed to this rate and gave notice at my current job. I am now 6 days away from my last day at my current job, and I was asked to come into the new job for training. After 5 hours, my new boss pulls me aside and tells me that my skills are not "up to par," even though he agrees I represented them accurately on my "impressive" resume. They just weren't what he was hoping.

So, he's not willing to offer me $14/h. I will start at $13/hour and move up to $14/hour after three months. He said I could go home for the day and that he would understand if I didn't return. He would mail me a check for the day's work. He said he thinks I should stay with my current job for financial reasons. I cannot afford to live on the new rate, and it just doesn't seem right for him to have changed it when there is now no other option for me but to find a new job. Short of egging his car in the middle of the night and busting my butt job searching, is there anything I can do? I never signed anything. It was all done over the phone, so I don't even have any proof that we agreed upon a the original salary.

Yes, they can reduce the rate of pay they're offering. The ball is in your court whether you want to try to "undo" your resignation at your current job and reject the offer, or accept it and start looking for a better paying job right away.

Comment

Agree unless you would have had a written binding employment contract
      guaranteeing a specific rate of pay. Sorry.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by CC26 View Post
        He said I could go home for the day and that he would understand if I didn't return. He would mail me a check for the day's work. He said he thinks I should stay with my current job for financial reasons.
        I would definitely attempt to find a different job or to undo your resignation at your current job. Based on all of that, it sounds like there is no way that they are actually going to keep you for any amount of time at this new company.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X