Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Wrongful termination, not being hired at other jobs???

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wrongful termination, not being hired at other jobs???

    I was fired from a company in 2006. I was not given reason or signed anything about the termination or given an exit interview. In 2008 I went to apply for a company in a similiar industry. This company said that they couldnt hire me because the other company fired me for policies and procedures violation. I called the company that fired me and they said their policy is to verify only start date, end date, and last position held. At that time I also found out I could not work for the company that fired me ever again. Since 2008, several managers from the company that fired me have contacted me to work with them. I explain the above and they come back with the same answer, I cant work the company. I was referred to employee relations and when I spoke with the employee relations person, I was told why I was fired and that I asked for proof of the violation and my complete employment file and that I am disputing the termination reason. She said I cant dispute and sent me my employment file. In the file there is nothing about why I was fired. I am applying for another company that uses the same background check. What can I do to get this removed or what can I do so it doesnt prevent me from getting other jobs? Thanks for your help.

  • #2
    What is the name of your state (where you worked)? Thanks.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    • #3
      Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
      What is the name of your state (where you worked)? Thanks.
      Illinois is the state


      • #4
        You were not terminated for an unlawful reason so this was not a wrongful termination. If the employer wishes to categorize your termination as misconduct - i.e. policy and procedures violation - they can. You have no means to force them to change that and they can make you ineligible for rehire. They are free to give out that information if contacted for a reference and if other employers decide not to hire you because of that, that's their decision to make.


        • #5
          Agree. It's perfectly legal for the company to have fired you for suspicion of violating a policy; they do not need proof "beyond a reasonable doubt" and they do not need to furnish you with such proof.

          Any time you're fired from any job, it's pretty much expected that you'll be categorized as ineligible for re-hire.


          • #6
            Many companies have "no rehire" policies regardless of the reason you terminated employment. That is in no way illegal.

            Some have "no rehire" policies in situations where it was the employers choice to terminate the employment relationship.

            The former employer is not required in most states to tell you why you were terminated. Some states don't even require them to provide you with a copy of your file, although it sounds like this company did so.

            To me, the best thing you can do with a possible future employer, is to be honest that this situation exists. If you can come up with a plausible comment (rather than blaming the former employer) on how you have grown from the experience, that would be good also.


            The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.