This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are they trying to do here??? Minnesota

I got fired and got walked out on 1-2-11. I just checked my employee file and noticed that hey I am not yet fired yet on paper. They want me to attend a meeting on 1-12-11. I am curious as to what they want to say about me but perhaps not curious to spend 3 hours driving and listening to a meeting. I absolutely don't want my job back. The usual process here is suspension followed by meeting followed by firing. Is there reason for this or is this some idiosycracy of my company?. I did notice they didn't give me my vacation and sick leave so I am pretty sure this is not a final payment. Any repercussions of going or not going?

Ok I decided not to go. The letter was kind of rude ordering me to go to a meeting without revealing the nature of the meeting. If theyre rude even before I get there I can imagine how nasty they would be if I showed up?

This is all very mysterious. I reported for my first week now. I looked at my expected benefits and it says 0. Heres what it says. A benefits estimate is not possible because your employer wage reports for the base period are not yet due. Your benefits estimate will be available on 11 / 02 / 2011 . thats kind of weird. Looks like the earliest I will get any possible benefits will be 40 days after I was walked out.
    Last edited by Brant Coyle; 01-11-2011, 11:53 AM.

They likely bypassed the suspension since you intentionally did not report for work because you liked your other job better:
    When I got in the next week I was scheduled to work new years eve. Both of my jobs want me to show up. My main job gives me very poor almost surreally bad reviews and feels impelled to write me up rather often. and my other job gives me perfect reviews and I never get written up. Now I guess missing a day means that I will be suspended and possibly fired. I am guessing that I am being suspended because I am an overnight and they are hard to cover.
    http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthre...995&highlight=

How did you see your employee file? It is possible that they just have not updated it yet.

Comment

Oh, I have a file on the internet I can access. The are some clues that I wasn't fired for missing a day of work. For one, they gave me holiday pay for that day. You know this is really hard to figure out without calling them. It is possible that this place is going to hell right now. In that case they need to offer me more money and treat me better. . I really can't believe they would fire me, because from what I was making compared to what I was doing, is was almost slave labor. But they did. I am guessing they would mistreat me if I went to this meeting. I told that to my friend that and he laughed.
      Last edited by Brant Coyle; 01-11-2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Geeze if it says that my benefits will get calculated 2-11, does that mean I got uncontested unemployment benefits?

Comment

WHAT says?

No state requires payment of sick leave at termination, and Minnesota law requires payout of accrued vacation only if the company policy or other agreement says it will be. This assumes, of course, that you have no union contract stating otherwise.
          Last edited by Pattymd; 01-11-2011, 12:47 PM.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Yeah my company policy book says you get vacation at termination. I am not sure about the sick leave. As far as the rest of it goes its anybodys guess. I am sure to give you an update. It would not be unheard of for a company to give their employees unemployment. People get it all the time.

I am not afraid of getting paid what I am due. I didn't work for that schlocky of a company. I am getting a bit of an eye opener looking at what some people are going through here. And yeah, my part time job appreciates that I showed up. It was scheduled a month previous to working, not friday for the next week like my full time. I feel that I did the only responsible thing I could do. Their view was that a full time job somehow trumps the part time one. All I know is that it is impossible to be two places at the same time. I did ask them for help being two places at the same time but was rebuffed.
            Last edited by Brant Coyle; 01-11-2011, 01:31 PM.

Comment

OK, then if it's company policy, then the vacation must be paid.

However, I've been in this business for over 30 years and I've NEVER seen a company policy that requires payout of sick pay at termination, unless there was a union contract requiring it.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks patty. I just got an idea for a job. I am going to take my buttocks down to the library and study plumbing til the end of the month. Then I am going to offer free basic plumbing in my area underdercutting the local plumbers. I do not think I will lack for customers. In fact, I probably will get offered a job as a plumbers apprentice from somebody just to get rid of me. FREE PLUMBING! heh. It is even possible that I will be offered a tip which of course I will report.

Comment

Unless you know what you are doing, DO NOT give someone advice on plumbing. You will be opening yourself up to some high dollar lawsuits. One little leak can cause damage including black mold. If it is gas, death.

I was a commercial plumber before I was disabled, and the companies would not hire just anyone. You need to have experience and a solid work history to be a plumbers helper. You can't learn that job from a book.

Comment

You might want to reference/check OP's previous threads/posts.
                    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I'm mainly interested in snaking hair from peoples bathtubs. Seems like I took apart and put together a sink in vo-tech career exploration back in high school. I am a jeweler by training so I can easily solder anything. The reason I didn't become a jeweler is I was afraid of breaking someones 10k diamond. Someone did give me some advice elsewhere yesterday. They said its alot easier now that lead pipes are not used. Its mostly plastic. I don't really see the liability. Plus it has the advantage of free work. Plus I already got a customer who has two clogged toilets.

Yeah. Now that I think about it, the place I worked at is probably under some stress right now. Not alot of people knew my job so either they are stressing those few people; probably what is happening is they are giving my hours to anyone who will take them and alot of stuff is getting done wrong. They have a low tolerence for that. In case you don't know even non profits are run hard nosed usually. Especially when it comes to mistakes. I don't see, and haven't seen any listing for my job anywhere. I think, after a few days, they reconsidered this dealy and want me back. unfortunately I don't want my job back. This is neither here nor there however.

Heh, there are like a thousand videos on plumbing on youtube. I don't even have to read.
                      Last edited by Brant Coyle; 01-12-2011, 06:38 AM.

Comment

I'll just say good luck to you, Brant.
                        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Betty, I have read them all. That is why I am so against this idea. I have had to clean up after way too many "Brant's" and have seen the damage that they cause to someone that really cannot afford a "free" job. Those poor people got exactly what they paid for. A free job from someone that has only a clue.

Plumbing is NOT as easy as it looks.

Brant, you are the one under stress, and are projecting it onto your former place of business. Contact them and get your severance pay.

Comment

Well I just went out and bought a 6' general drop head pipe cleaner and general 25' drain cleaner so I am now in business. heh. My friend has his doubts too. Like I said I am a trained jeweler and have put together a sink before so I know how to sweat pipes. For now I am just going to do the general home repair stuff like fixing toilet fixtures and the like. My friend says that its not as easy as that and every time he has fixed a toilet he has had to take it apart and clean it from the other side. We'll see. for some reason I don't think I will lack for work but who knows. If its something that looks complicated I will just say that I lack the tools and walk.

As far as severence pay I am still out 72 hours of vacation. I expect to get that my next check. Following that I will have to dip into my 401k as I dont have much savings.
                            Last edited by Brant Coyle; 01-12-2011, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GotSmart View Post
                              Betty, I have read them all.
                              I wasn't just talking to you but any responders who might not have.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X