Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

California - Seeking advice to terminate an employee on SDI. California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • California - Seeking advice to terminate an employee on SDI. California

    Thanks for reading this.

    I have an employee that was hired in January of this year and was involved in a non-work related accident in September. Employee was injured enough to go on SDI with the State. Employee does not qualify for FMLA/CFRA leave. Per Dr orders, Employee was off for two weeks and then called to extend it for another two weeks per Dr. We are past the four week period and I have not heard from him since he called about his Dr extending him another two weeks. He has never sent us a copy of the Dr notes we requested. At the same time we have learned to absorb his job responsibilities and get along without him.

    Should I term him as a no show resignation or lay him off since we really do not need his services anymore? Thanks!

  • #2
    Dear Employee:

    As previously advised, company policy requires that you keep us informed of your status while on leave. We have not heard from you in over two weeks, despite our phone calls (assuming you have tried to reach him). If we do not hear from you by XX date, we have no choice but to assume you have resigned.

    Send it certified, return receipt.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    • #3
      Patty - Thank you for your quick and timely response. I appreciate it. Thanks again


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.