This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired, Unemployment Eligibility California

Hi. I just got fired for work and I want to get advice on how to file unemployement. I've stayed with the company for 2 months when they let me go, previously I was working for another company for more than 4 years before I decided to switch careers. When my boss spoke to me, she told me that my co-workers felt that I was unable to communicate well with them and the customer. She mentioned an isolated incident last week and didn't elaborate on it.

What sparked the whole thing was was last Monday I was told to take keep an eye on a shipment and report to the customer the status. When I sent the update to the customer which is basically a brief sentence telling them what was going on, suddenly the customer sent an email to Co-worker #1 saying that she was disappointed with our company because the shipment was late from the factory overseas (not really anyone's fault but the factory) and now they had to wait to get it picked up. Co-worker #1 emailed Co-worker #2 to help expedite the shipment. At this time I was out to lunch and when I came back, Co-worker 2 was taking care of everything. After that was when things got bad, Co-worker #2 did not talk to me anymore and she was the one who was supposed to be training me for this job. Yesterday my boss told me that she had to let me go because of the lack of communication comments made by Co-worker #1 and #2. She mentioned that she wanted me to stay and to give me a different position within the company but that it wouldn't be 'fair' to co-worker #1 and #2. Co-worker #2 has seniority and at the same time, the company is only composed of 5 people and 2 of which (including myself) are just newly hired. Obviously the odds were against my favor even if the boss did like me.

I also have e-mails of this exchange showing my conversation with the customer. I handled their shipment last week (which is my first time working with them) and also this week (no complains, they were happy even if the shipment was delayed a few days more than last week), to show that this is an isolated incident that did not have permanent damage with the company and that I had good communication with the customer.

Now the question is, do you think this grounds will get me unemployment benefits? I've spoken with my boss and she told me that she will not contest if I filed for unemployment. Actually she told me that I can file as being laid off. She really does feel bad to let me go but I've made up my mind to file truthfully and state the situation as it actually happened. Also I've sent out a few resume's and scored an interview on Monday. Best case scenario would be that I wouldn't even need to file for unemployment.

I really appreciate your input (specially since you've made it through my rambling) and I'm glad to find this site.

We really have no way of knowing, but unless the employer can show that you intentionally or negligently caused/made the error, your chances are better than 50/50. All you can do is file and see what happens.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

If you are denied, you can try appealing unless you have found another job.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X