This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not a work comp question, but a question about hiring Pennsylvania

hello,,,have a question for my brothers girlfriend.

she just completed school for radiologist technican. has her resume in at a very large hospital in the area. she was told by a friend that now days large employers are doing very thorough employment background checks, which include credit historys.

she went through a divorce a few years back, and her ex husband walked away from a mortgage payment and would not sign the house over to her only, so she could try to sell it or whatever. anyways, this is killing her credit and a few weeks ago her and my brother just moved into a new house that my brother bought and put in his name only.

she told the bank to just go ahead with the foreclosure. so now there is no way her credit is going to get any better any time soon. my question for her is: how much do these large employers who offer the good benefits hold this against a potential employee? she is the perfect potential employee,(in my opinion anyways), but worried about this credit history checks by employers. I can understand criminal history checks and other background checks, but can you people tell me just how much weight a credit history background goes into hiring an employee.

she is thinking that this and only this is the reason she has not had any luck finding a job. has her resume in at numerous places where they do x-rays and stuff. and the large hospital does have job openings at this time. can employers actually get away with this type of thing? someone needs a job and is the perfect fit, but has bad credit, how can they do this????? she realizes right now with the economy being the way it is, it is a employers choice to pick the best possible candidate they choose, but seems stupid that it would come down to a credit history where there is no money changing hands.

any answers and suggestions would be greatly appreciated and passed on to her.

There are as many answers to that as there are employers. A lot also depends on what kind of job she is applying for.

One thing, though - is she being interviewed for jobs and then not getting them, or is she not getting called for interviews?
    Last edited by cbg; 07-20-2010, 05:40 PM.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Unlikely that her credit history has anything to do with it. Employers do not perform background checks until they have done the phone screens, the in-house interviews, and settled on their final choices; then they do a check on ONLY their top candidate - MAYBE the top two or three. If she so far has only been phone screened, it's quite unlikely that they've done any kind of check on her. Much more likely that it has to do with the fact that there are currently literally hundreds of applicants for every opening.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree/concur with cbg.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Good luck to your brother's girl friend finding a job, rear-ended.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X