This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asked for a few days off and they fired me Alabama

I work for a man and his wife at their gas station. I called and ask if I could take a few days off for Christmas because my daughter in California wanted to buy me a ticket to come and visit her. The man said his wife was not there at the moment and I should call back to talk to her. I called back and ask her the same question. She said NO and that she did not want to argue that she and her husband had argued enough and that I was fired. I said "well I just wont go" and she said "you're fired" I really need this job. Can they fire me for just asking if I can have time off? Can I get unemployment? Thank you for your help.

It's petty but the firing was legal. Having said that, you should definitely file for unemployment benefits and you'll almost certainly get them, based solely on what you've posted here.

Bah, humbug, huh?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

What bothers me is you asked for a religious holiday off.. and they fired you for that..

Is that not discrimination?

Comment

Not based on the way it was posted. The poster didn't ask for time off because his religion forbade working on a religious holiday (and Christmas is also a secular holiday - it is not a religious holiday to everyone); he asked for time off to visit his daughter.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I called and ask if I could take a few days off for Christmas because my daughter in California wanted to buy me a ticket to come and visit her.
          He wanted the days off for Christmas, did not say if his religion forbade working on a religious holiday or not soo really dont know.. but if it did then i could see problems.. about his daughter..thats just extra information.. Lots of people vist there family during religious holidays?

Comment

And lots of people visit their families when it isn't the "holidays". And lots of people work when it's the "holidays". There is nothing in the OP's message that indicates he asked for the time off for religious observances.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Yes, IF he wanted the time off for religious observances, then yes, that could be a problem. However, nothing in his post even remotely suggests that that is the case.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I called and ask if I could take a few days off for Christmas because my daughter in California wanted to buy me a ticket to come and visit her.
                Looks pretty clear, concise and to the point.
                when there is not enough information and it's like pulling teeth to get a poster to offer some extra detail to help determine the issue... thats' a problem... when the info is there, and we insert unwarranted difficulties that probably aren't there... thats' a problem. Guess it's just a board full of problems...

Happy Holidays... (whether you celebrate religiously or secularly, just get out and help the economy!)

Comment

Originally posted by CAIW View Post
                  Happy Holidays
                  Happy Holidays to you too. Yes, get out & help the economy if you can.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X