X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mutually Agreed Separation" New Jersey

Hi!
    My ER intends to fire me after 6 mos (no misconduct - just didn't work out) but said it would be a "mutually agreed separation." She is offering severance pay (one week) and any unused vacation pay. She also said she would not contest UI claim.

I am concerned about the language "mutually agreed" when applying for UI. Will I be denied? Should I tell NJ UI it was a mutually agreed separation?

She said future ERs would not see "Fired" when they inquire about my employment history. What do future ERs think about the mutual language? What should I say to them?

This is the first time I've been fired (left my last job for this oportunity - what was I thinking?) and I really have no idea how this works.

Your help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Your employer, or former employer, has little to say about who will get unemployment benefits.
    That decision is made entirely by the unemployment office. Regardless if your former employer will or will not contest a claim.

With that said, you are more likely to be approved if you are terminated, not quit( as in mutually agreed ).

Comment

The UI office "may" consider this as being fired since your choices seem to be being fired or agree to mutually separate employment. Tell the UI office this. However, it is always best to be fired than quit or agree to a mututal separation.

I would tell prospective employers your last job just didn't work out & you agreed to a mutual separation of employment.

Good luck to you.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thanks to you both.

I do believe if I don't agree to the separation, I would get fired in a week or two. I agreed to take this package because if I let them fire me, it would show on my employment history that I was fired and I would not get any severance (small as it is, every penny counts now).

So when I apply for UI, I'll just tell them it was in lieu of getting fired.

This is hard enough without having to worry about not getting UI!

Thanks, again.

Comment

You're welcome. Once again, good luck to you.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X