This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrongful termination? Virginia

Can you be terminated for a job because of hear-say? Happened to a close personal friend and they were teminated from their job because the owner/manager had heard rumors from other employees. Can this constitute a termination with there being no physical proof of any kind or does that matter. If anyone can fill me in that would be great thank you for the help

Originally posted by pouxonu View Post
    Can you be terminated for a job because of hear-say? Happened to a close personal friend and they were teminated from their job because the owner/manager had heard rumors from other employees. Can this constitute a termination with there being no physical proof of any kind or does that matter. If anyone can fill me in that would be great thank you for the help
    If your friend is an at-will employee, an employer isn't a court of law and doesn't need proof to terminate an employee, unless that employee has a bona fide contract or is part of a collective bargaining agreement.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

my firend did have a contract but there was only hear-say the person never broke any of the stip's in the contract but the owner is using hear say to make a judgement can that still happen?

Comment

Yes, you can be terminated for hear-say. You just can't be terminated for a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender) or unless you have a binding employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

A wrongful termination isn't being terminated for something you didn't do but for a reason prohibited by law.

Proof isn't needed - this isn't a court of law.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

mlane your post wasn't there & pouxonu your 2nd post wasn't there when I started typing my post but you both got yours submitted off first.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

It's spelled hearsay - there's no hyphen. And yes, your friend can be fired on the basis of hearsay. Hearsay only matters in a court of law and not always there.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Your friend can still be terminated for hearsay.

PS cbg, your post wasn't there when I started this one but you got yours submitted off first. Yes, it's hearsay - I just saw hear-say in OP's post & automatically typed it that way. I typed it right in this one.
              Last edited by Betty3; 10-15-2009, 12:44 PM. Reason: add PS

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X