This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would you hire someone Maryland

Would you hire someone if they tell you the reason they resigned from their job is they refused to do illegal thing for the previous employer ?

Let me put it this way.

I would not eliminate them from contention because of that. Whether I would hire them or not would depend on how they stood amongst the other applicants. But I would be more inclined to hire someone who refused to commit an illegal act under their employer's direction, than I would to hire someone who committed the illegalities and then put the blame on the employer (deserved or not). I'm not saying I'd refuse to hire either, but the one who stood on principle would stand higher in the rankings.
    Last edited by cbg; 07-21-2009, 05:34 PM.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Some might label you as a troublemaker. It had better have been REALLY illegal, not just borderline minor stuff.
      I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

I'd want to know what it was you were asked to do. Just putting on an application or stating generally that you resigned because you refused to break the law raises HUGE red flags. I would also want to know from you what you did to resolve the problem before quitting. If your first response was just to quit, I would be much more wary than if you tried to bring it to the employer's attention and find a solution and were left with no viable alternative but to quit.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

I was taking for granted that all the items in Alice's and Elle's posts had been confirmed.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
            Whether I would hire them or not would depend on how they stood amongst the other applicants.
            Heehee, someone has been here too much lately!
            Last edited by cbg; 07-21-2009, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Boy, you ain't kidding. I wonder that no one else caught that! Glad you did.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                Boy, you ain't kidding. I wonder that no one else caught that! Glad you did.
                How many posters have you interviewed since you have been in HR? (I'm guessing that is the word you used.)
                Last edited by Betty3; 07-21-2009, 10:40 PM.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I would be VERY cautious about accusing a company of committing illegal acts without proof.

VERY cautious.
                  Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Daniel, you have been warned over and over again about starting these discussions of yours in the employment law forums.

This is positively your last warning. Next time I see you trying to start one of these debates of yours anywhere but the Legal Lounge, your posting privileges here will be withdrawn.

Oh, and in case it isn't obvious, your post in this thread has been deleted.

Comment

I didn't realize simply asking questions to clarify the issue was a bad thing.
                      Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or qualified to practice law in any state. I only argue legal theory and politics, from an economics perspective.

Comment

We have a difference of opinion as to whether or not your questions were designed to "clarify the issue".

Comment

Would you mind resurrecting that thread in the lounge? I would like to get some perspective from the private sector concerning current trends in types of employment relationships.
                          Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or qualified to practice law in any state. I only argue legal theory and politics, from an economics perspective.

Comment

You want it in the lounge, you put it there. I'm not doing anything to encourage you.

Comment

Originally posted by jxdpad View Post
                              Would you hire someone if they tell you the reason they resigned from their job is they refused to do illegal thing for the previous employer ?
                              Would I hire in that case? Maybe - it depends on how everything else stacks up. But, generally, an applicant making a statement like that, either on an application or in an interview is a negative. The applicant could almost always come up with a non-accusatory way of stating the reason for leaving a previous job.

The interviewer isn't there to sit in judgment of your previous employer. He/she is there to evaluate you as a prospective employee. Since they don't know anything about the situation that you are talking about, they have no idea if what you refused to do was illegal or not. And, many people have different ideas on what is legal and what isn't. So, what they will hear, is that you refused to do something requested by a previous employer. And, sort of in parentheses, that your reason for refusing was that you considered it illegal (not that it actually was illegal). So, it is likely that you will give the impression that you will be a difficult or high maintenance employee.

It is always best to avoid bad-mouthing a previous employer - at least until you get hired.
                              Please post questions on the forum rather than sending me a private message or email. That way others who have similar issues have access to the discussion.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X