This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrongful Termination South Carolina

I was wrongfully termminated from my South Carolina Job I wrote a letter to the General Manager to explain the exact situation that was at hand. I will copy it to the post

To Whom This May Concern:

Hello (employer),

I was currently employed to the (employer) site in Columbia, South Carolina. I realized that the way this company was functioning was not expected for (employer). I found that the supervisors were so unprofessional. I am a young newly graduate that was seeking great manufacturing and industrial experience. I have a Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Industrial Technology and I really wanted to acquire good experience from the company but I feel as if I was cheated. I was terminated from the company for being five minutes late. I signed the terms in the employee handbook. I also expected the company to actually go by the terms in the (employer) HandBook. The Handbook reads as follows: Tardiness/Absenteeism: 1st Event- After 3 occurrences- Verbal Warning issued, 2nd Event- After 4 occurrences- Written Warning issued, 3rd Event- After 5 occurrences- 3 Day “Think Period” without pay, 4th Event- After 6 occurrences- Termination. It says that the company would consider recognizing circumstances beyond your control. The unprofessional supervisor approached me after I arrived at work five minutes late, and told me that tardiness isn’t accepted and he had to let me go. Me being a knowledgeable person of the HandBook that they gave to me as an employee, I knew that this was not accurate. I was caught in a small traffic hold-up that caused me to be delayed by ten minutes. I truly don’t know if racism, discrimination, or bad codes of ethic was presented but it was truly wrong. Unlike other employees, I was eager to learn all the concepts that were available to learn rather than just work for a “paycheck”. Everyone has their own reasons for working, and mine wasn’t to be cheated by unprofessional people. The General Manager at this site seemed to be quite fair, but the people under him, do not show leadership skills as a supervisor should posses. This letter was not made by an angry past employee. I’m concerned by the people who could fall victim to the same scandal. I will be filing a claim at the local unemployment services and the South Carolina Labor Board to see if this is appropriate when running a business.

Thanks For Your Time,

Former Employee

I know that this is truly wrong!!! HELP
    Last edited by cbg; 07-13-2009, 09:43 AM.

What law do you think was violated in your termination? "Wrong" or "unethical" or "inaccurate" does not necessarily equate to "illegal".
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I have the employee handbook to distinguish the rules for termination for that particular situation. Its unethical in ways but i wanted to know if its illegal to terminate an employee for a reason that wasnt accurate with the handbook. If I had to pull up my records from the time clock, i was never late. The supervisor told me that trdiness isnt tolerated and im gonna have to let you go. Is the employee handbook not the guidelines for the company??? I posted the exact words from the handbook in the thread...

Comment

No. It is not illegal to terminate for someone for a reason not specified in the handbook.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

"Guidelines" are not laws.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

& the handbook usually has a disclaimer that the "guidelines" can be modified, changed or eliminated at any time.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

In the future, any letter should stick to the facts. Your letter struck me as you, a new graduate, scolding the established company over how it is run.

Calling an entire group of supervisors unprofessional without any backing incidents, saying the company cheated you and saying you feel victim to a scandal are all overly dramatic.

I also found it telling that you call yourself "Me being a knowledgeable person of the HandBook" as usually the employees who know the handbook inside and out are either the HR people or an employee trying to work the system.

In my experience, letters such as these as read, chuckled over and deposited in the employee's file.

In fact, yesterday an employee chose to resign at my company in an email that was sent to her mgr and the CEO/Owner. In it, the former employee took both of them to task over things she felt where done to her. All we said was, thank goodness she is gone and saves us the trouble of firing her.

To paraphrase cbg, it is a small world and you never know who will will be working with in the future. Since you are at the start of your career,you never know if you will have to work with one of these unprofessional supervisors in the future.

Comment

In fact, yesterday an employee chose to resign at my company in an email that was sent to her mgr and the CEO/Owner. In it, the former employee took both of them to task over things she felt where done to her. That's called "going down in flames."

mjones, it may have been unfair to terminate your employment (although I find it difficult to believe that there were no other issues involved than being tardy one time), but it wasn't illegal. Not even close. Do file for unemployment benefits but don't waste your time contacting the Labor Board.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X