This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can juvenile record prevent me from getting a job? Missouri

I recently completed a background check to work at the VA hospital in Missourri. A federal background check turned up an arrest for retail theft that occurred when I was 15. I am now 23 and I was not charged for any crime for this arrest. Can this record prevent me from getting the job?

In Mo. certain health care employers must run criminal record checks of prospective employees who may have patient or child care responsibilities.

It will be up to the individual employer whether you get hired or not taking into consideration your history & how well you meet the requirements for the job.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

If this were a private sector job which did not require a security clearance (such as in a defense contractor) I'd say in theory it should not prevent you from getting most jobs since the EEOC frowns on holding unadjudicated arrests against people due to the disparate impact this would cause. However the VA is federal so I don't know here. There may be some kind of security clearance involved in working for the VA, and sometimes the feds exempt themselves from their own laws and regulations. An example of the latter is if we required US Citizenship for employment, the feds would come down on us faster than fleas on a hound dog for national origin discrimination, but most federal agencies require US citizenship for employment (a few agencies exempted such as state department).
      The only thing spammers are good for is target practice.
      No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, but a bunch of electrons and phosphors have been a tad inconvenienced.

Comment

There are some employers/agencies (varies by state) where they can take your past "criminal" hx (incl. arrests w/o conviction) into consideration & which will show up on their background check. (ie health care field, working with children, law enforcement).

State laws differ but in many (most) states even on expunged/sealed records which most employers can't see on a background check, some employers/agencies can be furnished this information - ie federal agencies, law enforcement agencies ..... They can also use the info in making their hiring decision. It doesn't mean in every case they won't get the job though.
        Last edited by Betty3; 07-01-2009, 09:23 AM. Reason: added some add'l. info
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I'm confused. I thought records for those under 18 were sealed and would not show up in a standard background check?
          I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I believe that's state specific, Morgana. If I'm not mistaken, in some states you have to apply to have the records sealed.

Also, even a sealed record can be visible to some state or Federal agencies.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Certain employers/agencies can still see them. They are never completely gone even if sealed. In the OP's case (in Mo.) background checks must be done on anyone applying for a job in the health care field & it's with the VA (fed. agcy).

I would think the OP should be able to get some type of job with a theft hx at age 15.

Comment

I didnt realize that a 15 year olds record could be revealed. Wow. I learn something new every day!
                I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yep, in certain "situations" they can be. (sometimes they can be)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X