This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• background check is wrong? Texas

I recently applied somewhere and was pretty much hired pending a background check. I was arrested and given deferred adjudication for theft which I did inform the company about. at that time they told me that they didnt see it as a problem since i was upfront about it and did not misinform them. well when the background check came back it did comeback with that case as well as three other things that are not from me. Due to that they didnt hire me. I did inform them that the check was incorrect. they informed me that i would need to contact the background check company. the companys name is sterling testing systems based out of New York. I called them and they informed me that they can open the dispute for me. after about an hour they called me back saying that i would need to get in contact with my local county court cleck about the issue. I didnt really think that was the case since these three cases were based out of houston texas and i live 6 hours away from there. either way i called them and they said that they couldnt check anything since it wasnt in the county. so i called back sterling testing systems and they told me that i would need to contact the houston county clerk, by this time i had already done this and the clerk told me that there wasnt anything that they could do about it over the phone, i told this to the background check company. they then informed me that there wasnt anything else that could be done by them and that i had to take care of it myself. what can i do to first resolve this and also what can i to to hold these guys liable for giving incorrect info.

Originally posted by jaycenter View Post
    I recently applied somewhere and was pretty much hired pending a background check. I was arrested and given deferred adjudication for theft which I did inform the company about. at that time they told me that they didnt see it as a problem since i was upfront about it and did not misinform them. well when the background check came back it did comeback with that case as well as three other things that are not from me. Due to that they didnt hire me. I did inform them that the check was incorrect. they informed me that i would need to contact the background check company. the companys name is sterling testing systems based out of New York. I called them and they informed me that they can open the dispute for me. after about an hour they called me back saying that i would need to get in contact with my local county court cleck about the issue. I didnt really think that was the case since these three cases were based out of houston texas and i live 6 hours away from there. either way i called them and they said that they couldnt check anything since it wasnt in the county. so i called back sterling testing systems and they told me that i would need to contact the houston county clerk, by this time i had already done this and the clerk told me that there wasnt anything that they could do about it over the phone, i told this to the background check company. they then informed me that there wasnt anything else that could be done by them and that i had to take care of it myself. what can i do to first resolve this and also what can i to to hold these guys liable for giving incorrect info.
    You can try and get it resolved with Houston. The company that did the background check didn't report any incorrect information. They reported what was in you records with Houston.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Just to clarify - if any of the background check information reported by the background ck. co. was wrong, they did report incorrect information. However, it's just that they didn't know the info was incorrect. They reported what they were furnished/what was in the Houston records.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Well I have contacted houston clerk with the cause numbers that the background check co. gave me. They didnt want to give me much info over the phone. they did say that the name is similar but not the same. and the date of birth is the same but other then that their is no simularites. THey told me the only way to clear it up would to go there and get the court documents, however i live about 6 hours away from houston and just cant get up and go anytime. the three cases were one for felony theft, one for misdeamnor theft and the other was for misdemeanor possession, which according to the background check i supposedly spent a year in jail for this. during this supposed time I was on probation for the the thing i actually did do. Can i send them a letter from my probation office that I was there with them duriing that time to clear it up or would that not be sufficent enough?

Comment

I understand a 6-hour drive. I used to live in Dallas and had friends in Houston. But, if that's what you need to do, isn't it worth it?
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

If this information is incorrect, you really need to get it resolved. Regardless of the 6 hour drive, this information will follow you forever! If it is in the county records, pretty much all background check companies will be reporting it.

When this happens to one of my potential employees, they are usually able to get a letter from the county clerk stating the charges do not belong to them. I always tell them to hold onto that letter indefinitely to submit as proof for future employment issues.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X